Ludwigia

Notorynchus ?

Ludwigia

Took another trip to one of my Miocene Burdigalian sites on my bike again today and I was just wondering if this set of teeth might come from a Notorynchus cepedianus shark.

P100a.thumb.jpg.0a00570f65cfb05255837ef56ac92b8e.jpg

P100b.thumb.jpg.0a2c08674debe74466c1bf24cb08f6f5.jpg

Ludwigia

Come to think of it, here are 2 more which I found a while ago where I'm still not sure if they also belong to the genus Notorynchus. They're both sort of thick, which makes me unsure.

P99ba.thumb.jpg.ac39dfa8c4d2da72ea5a113849f3586b.jpg

P99bb.jpg.72adbd649c4e08c73b2d0b4dc169337b.jpg

P99bc.jpg.39b2050982ffe89dced009bc7ca2ba1f.jpg

P99aa.jpg.8ca45523c96bac2410a19e3292ac6891.jpg

P99ab.jpg.818d0788f8bff6360c320a00ae15c21e.jpg

ynot

The first is a "yes".

The other two look like upper symphyseal teeth (same species).

Ludwigia
1 minute ago, ynot said:

The first is a "yes".

The other two look like upper symphyseal teeth (same species).

Thanks for the quick determination, Tony :)

Ludwigia

Please excuse me, but I'm having to revise these to N. primigenius. I'd forgotten completely about this website                    

MarcoSr

I agree that the first tooth is Notorynchus.  However, I don't think the next specimen is even a shark tooth because it is too rounded without a visible cutting edge but that may be due to water wear.  The second specimen really doesn't have the root or crown features of a Notorynchus upper parasymphyseal tooth.  It looks more like a ray dermal denticle to me.  But pictures can be very deceiving.  See the extant Notorynchus cepedianus jaw below from elasmo.com:

image.png.61a6a17df54ec59836afee29712fe76c.png

The third specimen is really interesting.  It is difficult to tell from the pictures but If a shark tooth it could be a cetorhinus (but they have a cutting edge) or even something like a ray tooth from a manta.

Marco Sr.

Ludwigia
On 11.8.2018 at 4:52 PM, MarcoSr said:

I agree that the first tooth is Notorynchus.  However, I don't think the next specimen is even a shark tooth because it is too rounded without a visible cutting edge but that may be due to water wear.  The second specimen really doesn't have the root or crown features of a Notorynchus upper parasymphyseal tooth.  It looks more like a ray dermal denticle to me.  But pictures can be very deceiving.  See the extant Notorynchus cepedianus jaw below from elasmo.com:

image.png.61a6a17df54ec59836afee29712fe76c.png

The third specimen is really interesting.  It is difficult to tell from the pictures but If a shark tooth it could be a cetorhinus (but they have a cutting edge) or even something like a ray tooth from a manta.

Marco Sr.

Thanks for your help Marco. Sorry it took so long to answer, but I just noticed your post now.