A seller has offered me this Neovenator tooth Isle of Wight. The tooth is 41mm long and is missing the tip, but the surface of the tooth looks nice. The seller is a British seller who owns a fossil website and has sold Iguanadon, another Neovenator and megalosaurus sp? tooth in the past.

Please could you let me know your thoughts on this tooth and if the ID might be correct?

DSCN3015.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

DSCN3016.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I did find this however not an expert in this material. Nice looking tooth hopefully can place an identification to it.

largepreview.png

• I found this Informative 6

I’m familiar with the seller and he does do a good job of selling teeth from the Isle of Wight. It’s a Theropod tooth that’s for sure. However one thing I find unique is the preservation. Typically Isle of Wight fossils are jet black. I trust the dealer that you’re getting this offer from but is an odd color.

As for the identification, I’m not great with these teeth. There’s also eotyrannus that I’ve seen one tooth of but doesn’t look like this one. I think Neovenator is a safe bet but would need to check the other theropods in the Wessex Formation. 

Identification of isolated ziphodont theropod teeth is very difficult since they are very similar and there is lots of variation in the jaw.  Sorry but you cannot just look at pictures and identify an uncommon theropod tooth.  You cannot also base it on what has been described in that fauna since what other theropods exist that have not been found or described, the fossil record is far from complete in any fauna.   Morphometric measurements of this tooth are needed and then those need to be compared against Neovenator.  I have neither bits of info to be able to give you an answer.  I would ask the seller how he determined that this is Neovenator and see what type of response he gives you.  That will determine if he's shooting from the hip or its based on a firm scientific analysis.   I would not make the assumption its properly identified based on what he sells.

• I found this Informative 12

Although I know who this seller is, and I agree that he is knowledgeable in this field, I myself have little experience with British teeth.

I can't tell if it's Novenator or not. Troodon is right, the seller needs to justify this ID.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The seller says that the Id has been determined by shape, locality, and the number of serrations along the tooth’s edge. :dinothumb:

Hi

The matrix on that tooth looks suspicious to me as it appears to be composed of sand grains, more reminiscent of Kem Kem material than IOW.

Paul

8 minutes ago, paulgdls said:

Hi

The matrix on that tooth looks suspicious to me as it appears to be composed of sand grains, more reminiscent of Kem Kem material than IOW.

Paul

Hi Paul,

You have an eye for detail thanks for the useful information! hmm strange  :dinothumb:

I would say not to use the sand grains as definite against this being IOW Wealden material, their are some lenses of sands in the south-west area including a sandy conglomerate which according to The guy at dinosaur farm museum is well known for neovenator material- a very thin bed about 1m thick and is actually a possibility however the colour is also off as you said teeth are normally black-very dark red-brown

• 4 months later...

Given the uncertainties due to the locale's fauna list as known, and the variability by position, the most professional label would be "Theropod CF Neovenator".

It is a lovely fossil, to be sure!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!