Schoharie Creek NY trip report

Dsailor

Went out for a few days with the family and did some fossil hunting at Schoharie Creek with some pleasant surprises. I searched mostly in some eroded cliffs and had the best luck by using weathered shells to find a productive layer. I then carefully started splitting. I found a lot of marine life that is very similar to what is found at the Deep Springs rd. quarry in NY. Greenops pygidiums were common and I found what I think are crinoid stems. Also present were what I think are some Cephalopod Orthoconic forms and some cool bivalves.

greenops.jpg

Nice finds, Dom!

Glad you got out, and did fairly well. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Cool finds... I want to go look for trilobites soon

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Really nice Orthonata Dom! Your other finds are interesting too. Definitely Middle Devonian Hamilton Group stuff, though I'm not sure about the formation. Glad you're getting out and collecting some cool material. Hope to see you again before long.

Ooh, nice.  That Orthonata is delicious. I'm especially interested in those crinoids. I don't remember finding any that nice. I'm itching to get out that way soon. I'm glad you had a good outing. :trilowalk:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

56 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Ooh, nice.  That Orthonata is delicious. I'm especially interested in those crinoids. I don't remember finding any that nice. I'm itching to get out that way soon. I'm glad you had a good outing. :trilowalk:

Thanks, I love the gunmetal blue color

5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Really nice Orthonata Dom! Your other finds are interesting too. Definitely Middle Devonian Hamilton Group stuff, though I'm not sure about the formation. Glad you're getting out and collecting some cool material. Hope to see you again before long.

yeah, we should get together soon

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice finds, Dom!

Glad you got out, and did fairly well. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Regards,

Thanks Tim,

I was surprised to find trilobites but I was looking in a different spot than when looking for plants

Yes, nice fossils! That bivalve would have made my day.  Sure does look like the Middle Devonian. Schoharie Creek cuts across bunch of possible formations. There are geologic maps available that could help pin down the formation.  Mine are all paper but there may be on-line versions now available.

Nice finds! 

Especially love the Orthonata! 

Thanks for sharing. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I love the Orthonota too.. they look like Razor clams.

That's what I thought too, but less delicious

On 8/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, erose said:

Yes, nice fossils! That bivalve would have made my day.  Sure does look like the Middle Devonian. Schoharie Creek cuts across bunch of possible formations. There are geologic maps available that could help pin down the formation.  Mine are all paper but there may be on-line versions now available.

Thanks, The Schoharie valley around Gilboa really confuses me as there are abundant plant fossils in singular water eroded fallen rocks around  the stream and identifiable layers of marine life in the cliffs. There are also layers of glacial debris in the cliffs. The problem is that that it is a valley so the rocks go up for thousands of yards. I really want to find a plant layer or a later marine layer while it is still in a cliff but I think they are super high up. I'll have to do some serious climbing maybe.

Yes the Catskills are mostly terrestrial Devonian. But  there are are interspersed thin marine deposits, or something like that. Not to mention the glacial gravels and erratics. According to the Geologic Map of New York, Hudson-Mohawk Sheet, above Gilboa you are in Genesee Group rocks and the transition to Upper Devonian. Below, downstream of Gilboa and the reservoir it's mapped as Moscow and Panther Mountain Formations. But the maps only say a mix of sandstone, mudstone and shale.   There are more detailed reports you can find.

Along with glacial debris, some of the material in the creek has been transported by major floods, I believe. There may also be material dumped as fill for flood control purposes. I haven't been there myself, so I have no first-hand knowledge of the creek though. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Archived