Still_human

Does anyone have, or have seen, small marine reptile's stomach contents? I'm specifying small because what I'm wondering about is of those that eat primarily and mostly squid. Ive been trying to find pictures, but I can't find anything thats close-up enough to see any details at all. Just like from a full picture of a full-body ichthy plate, which is way too far out to see the apparently stomach contents.

*i don't mean corprolites, but actual impressions of the stomach contents 

There are 3 recognisable types of squid hooks in this Ichthyosaurs stomach contents.... I have seen fish scales too.....

008 (800x600).jpg

003 (800x600) (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

3 different types in that specific stomach, or do you mean there are 3 types that are found in stomachs at all?

and the squid stuff in that picture--are they/some of them fossilized as just all those 3dimensional bumps/raised spots?

Tarquin TQB....can elaborate more on this subject than me.... He has a paper that suggests there are 3 shapes of hook found in the fossil record each shape dependant on the position on the arm that they come from.... all 3 are recognisable in closeups of this stomach contents.... the hooks are clearly visible in the lower centre of the photo.....Like dark teeth....

• I found this Informative 2

Oh nice! That's so cool! Wow, that whole fossil is mindblowing!!! That's weird looking how the tail verts are still in pristine looking, but completely removed from the body, yet laying right next to the body, even just inches from its original place. So coincidental too, how the huge crack that obviously doesn't have anything to do with it being detached, but goes right through where it was removed from the body.

I wouldnt have thought there could be that many squid remains at a time! Do they stay there, and not all get passed? I know that can happen with some animals, I believe it might actually include sperm whales having squid beaks(and hooks?) that collect in their stomachs. The picture of the amazing full ichthy above shows what I would have thought would have been an excessive amount of remains. I'll contact tbq. Thanks for letting me

know about that!

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

wouldnt have thought there could be that many squid remains at a time!

Squid and its relatives can have a lot of hooks for each arm.

Image result for squid suction cup hooks

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, Still_human said:

Oh nice! That's so cool! Wow, that whole fossil is mindblowing!!! That's weird looking how the tail verts are still in pristine looking, but completely removed from the body, yet laying right next to the body, even just inches from its original place. So coincidental too, how the huge crack that obviously doesn't have anything to do with it being detached, but goes right through where it was removed from the body.

What you're seeing is a typical example of what I would call "slate tectonics". Just imagine the plate with the tail sliding back along the fracture and you'll get the picture about how it got there in the first place.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Still_human said:

I wouldnt have thought there could be that many squid remains at a time! Do they stay there, and not all get passed?

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Squid and its relatives can have a lot of hooks for each arm.

Image result for squid suction cup hooks

And the predators could devour a lot of the creatures just for one meal.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks I hope the image is of help.... Maybe they regurgitated the stomach contents... Swallowed a stone or two first..... I would imagine quite difficult to pass but I'm sure they wouldnt be prey if their hooks became the demise of the predator.....The arrangement of the bones.....I think its a combination of 'slate tectonics' as Roger suggests and also the carcass rolled over during decay putting an obvious twist in the tail section.... Difficult to determine from the close up image.... Maybe simply rolled due to the motion of the water around it.....

006 (800x600).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

What you're seeing is a typical example of what I would call "slate tectonics". Just imagine the plate with the tail sliding back along the fracture and you'll get the picture about how it got there in the first place.

Could that be what happened in this case? If it was tectonics, wouldn't it still be "in place" at the edge of the break, just off-centered? The first vert having come loose and falling over would be a sign of decay, I believe, right?

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

And the predators could devour a lot of the creatures just for one meal.

look at the 2nd example--the 4 cross-section slabs. Doesn't that just seem ridiculous? Especially when you keep in mind that it's just a couple thin slices of a 3 dimensional gut. 

1 hour ago, Terry Dactyll said:

Thanks I hope the image is of help.... Maybe they regurgitated the stomach contents... Swallowed a stone or two first..... I would imagine quite difficult to pass but I'm sure they wouldnt be prey if their hooks became the demise of the predator.....The arrangement of the bones.....I think its a combination of 'slate tectonics' as Roger suggests and also the carcass rolled over during decay putting an obvious twist in the tail section.... Difficult to determine from the close up image.... Maybe simply rolled due to the motion of the water around it.....

006 (800x600).jpg

YES! Absolutely! It was both helpful AND just plain awesome to look at! Is it by any chance YOURS? Thank you so much for your time and help!

44 minutes ago, Terry Dactyll said:

Thankfully.... Yes.... :)

WOW!!! I can't BEGIN to tell you how jealous I am. Ive always wanted an ichthyosaur slab, but even as far as awesome ichthy slabs go, that one is insanely amazing. I see slabs with pregnant mothers more than I see with stomach contents. Of course the pregnant ones are probably displayed and mentioned more, but still... Personally I like the stomach contents more. Even though they're not as cute as the babies. How big is that ichthy? With a belly full of squid, I'm thinking it's probably on the smaller side, right?

oh wow, I didn't even see the smaller part of the spine farther to the right. That's even more interesting that ANOTHER part was removed too! The only things I can think of are little crabs and scavengers having eaten away at the connective tissue, and tried to take it away, or something. The first vert on the first tail section removed has gently loosened and fallen off, but stayed in place, so that must mean there wasn't much current

Its a 5 footer.... I personally like how the ammonites (iridescent Psiloceras Planorbis)  are above and below the bones on the piece.... Its the first Jurassic ammonite which dates the creature to around 200 million years... Your specimens display lots of squid hooks.... Very nice......rare like you say I presume......

004 (1) (800x600).jpg

Yeah, the ammonites are awesome contrasting pieces. It makes it that much more a work of art. 5ft! That's huge! Of course not huge for ichthys, but it's huge for  ichthy plates I've seen. Don't know if I’ve ever seen one for sale with anything close to a 5ft ichthy. Usually they're under 2ft. And I don't think I’ve ever seen one with the ammonites around it, either. And they're beautifully iridescent too. It brings it more to life, too. Especially the three dimensions of ammonites in front and back. It makes it look like it's part of an actual natural setting, and not just a specimen on a platter, or something.

Edited by Kane
Grammar