Isle of Wight vacation

Manticocerasman

last week my girlfriend and I went camping for a few days on the Isle of wight for 5 days of fossil hunting.

It took us 2 ferries to get there so the journey to there was pretty relaxed.

the 1st day we spent walking the shore from Atherfield to Brook bay, it was quite a walk, but we did find a few dinosaur bones.

the other days we visited multiple locations on the Island like Yaverland, Sandown, St Catherines point, Compton bay,...

We did get quite a variety of different fossils from IOW Dinosaur bones, lobsters, ammonites, fish remains,... the most spectacular find was made by my girlfriend, she found a realy nice Pterosaur tooth.

IMG_20180804_091732.thumb.jpg.e2ec73742ba2c13de0b93135379215a4.jpgIMG_20180804_202858.thumb.jpg.8310ec294634b21495fea7f57c4514a5.jpgIMG_20180805_131840.thumb.jpg.cdd2092b8f0d634cb49623cebce60f09.jpgIMG_20180807_111152.thumb.jpg.17b415be4fc5fcdce78c239ff1d8cbba.jpgIMG_20180807_112002.thumb.jpg.1fbaa3d197d1e9d27872977027e76a86.jpgIMG_20180809_161416.thumb.jpg.82e571103fe33c9695dbc71d7db3cae0.jpgIMG_20180809_163412.thumb.jpg.653227545d4a08c8b29e5ac7c7ace24b.jpgIMG_20180809_163433.thumb.jpg.4e91054f4275cf1cc144dfbde2320a16.jpgIMG_20180809_163437.thumb.jpg.cd21a45e8c43e385608e85d0d8150845.jpg

The pterosaur tooth:

IMG_20180810_172319.thumb.jpg.b15e458bfca3386c31d11880209aaa9b.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Wow!! Those are amazing finds! Well done to both of you! I am incredibly :envy:. I would love to make at least a weekend trip there to do some hunting soon. If you have any tips or recommendations I’d be happy to hear them. 

15 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Wow!! Those are amazing finds! Well done to both of you! I am incredibly :envy:. I would love to make at least a weekend trip there to do some hunting soon. If you have any tips or recommendations I’d be happy to hear them. 

Thx. :)

You find a lot of info online for the IOW, but I'll send you a pm with all the info I know about the place. Some locations were not easy to get to.

• I found this Informative 1

Beautiful fossils! The pterosaur tooth is a spectacular find, something I hope to find someday. Any idea on the genera of the ammonites? A few of them remind me of Mortoniceras sp.

29 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Beautiful fossils! The pterosaur tooth is a spectacular find, something I hope to find someday. Any idea on the genera of the ammonites? A few of them remind me of Mortoniceras sp.

Thx.

The ammonites are mostly from the Schloenbachia genus. But there are quite a lot of differen forms in them. 

Awesome fossils 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds Kevin :wub: Congrats !!!

I especially like that tooth. But are you sure that it's really a pteroaur tooth? :headscratch:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

14 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Great finds Kevin :wub: Congrats !!!

I especially like that tooth. But are you sure that it's really a pteroaur tooth? :headscratch:

Thx. That layer where it was found is known for pterosaur material. It is a fresh water deposit. We showed it to a local museum, they confirmed Pterosaur.

1 minute ago, Manticocerasman said:

Thx. That layer where it was found is known for pterosaur material. It is a fresh water deposit. We showed it to a local museum, they confirmed Pterosaur.

Ok thanks for the information! I have to visit that location once :)

Congrats :yay-smiley-1:  I didn't found a pteroaur tooth until now but I am working on it :P

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Very nice finds, Kevin. Looks like the Isle is still really worth the visit. Last time I was there I was busy watching Jimi Hendrix play God Save the Queen, so I didn't get around to doing any collecting ;)

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice finds! :)

Some of those ammonites are really nice and the pterosaur tooth is a beauty. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Natalie81 said:

Thanks for the great holiday on Wight. You are awesome! X 

:D:D:P

a little update, Natalie preped one of my finds from Yaverland. at first I tought it was a Hybodont tooth, but after the prep it turned out to be a realy nice Hybodont cephalid clasper ( head spine ) :)

IMG_20180809_210552.thumb.jpg.3cfaa918bac1bc41c2f0f83f2d341ffc.jpg

Really nice and interesting finds, hopefully next time I go I can get a bit of your luck haha

Thanks Matt

55 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

turned out to be a really nice Hybodont cephalid clasper ( head spine )

A  cephalid clasper is not a head spine. Should be on the other end from the head.

Pretty nice find!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

29 minutes ago, ynot said:

A  cephalid clasper is not a head spine. Should be on the other end from the head.

Pretty nice find!

Tony, what do you exactly mean by the other end from the head?

I found pictures of this fossil as wel under cephalid clasper and under head spine :headscratch:

4 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

Tony, what do you exactly mean by the other end from the head?

I found pictures of this fossil as wel under cephalid clasper and under head spine :headscratch:

A cephalid clasper is a sexual organ. Used By males to hold the female in place during procreation activities.

22 minutes ago, ynot said:

A cephalid clasper is a sexual organ. Used By males to hold the female in place during procreation activities.

so it is a cephalid spine.

this is a screenshot of a paper on hybodonts: they do refer to this fossil as a cephalid spine.

hybodont.thumb.PNG.3bf71fb231b43796996b5543f34c2a00.PNG

Definition of Term
cephalic clasper
(english) A mace-like spiny-headed rod found on the mid-dorsal surface of heads of male Holocephali. Thought to aid in holding the female during copulation.    

Looks like I had the wrong area of the body for these things. Always thought they were in a pelvic region.:shrug:

I am so confused!:headscratch: