BLT

These are pics of another hash plate from my yard in middle Tennessee. I’m hoping someone will let me know what all is in it. (I’m wondering if there are fragments of fish bones?) Thanks. 

029EC790-94CF-44BE-B166-8C1E1AEE3920.jpeg

BDAB6E1D-3159-4292-82A0-B6E973E9C1D3.jpeg

85F907FD-B5DD-4FD8-B53F-CA95422FEBF0.jpeg

EC6C2E82-B032-47EB-AB12-C5CC0213CB48.jpeg

B91C45EF-776A-4A2F-B3AD-FA5DEE5FA166.jpeg

B0B8EAD8-BE2B-4CDC-AE32-4990B51C6A22.jpeg

AC1AC8EB-5C31-408A-957A-C1B74F62F0B2.jpeg

38801B31-DEBD-43C0-8FE3-17BF12E3E06C.jpeg

1D50C45C-E234-4B84-B34C-649CF07D5E0F.jpeg

AFA572C2-18F5-4B52-9F0A-5B6A4CA27758.jpeg

I swear, I need to come play in your yard. :drool:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Several species of bryozoan and brachiopod, crinoid columnals and all sorts of bits. 

Nice hash plates! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I swear, I need to come play in your yard. :drool:

My family gets a laugh over my staying outside to “play with my rocks” for hours at a time. :P

15 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I see some trilobits!

Seriously? I still haven’t located any trilobits on there. :( (That’s the main thing I’m hoping to find on one of my hash plates.) 

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Several species of bryozoan and brachiopod, crinoid columnals and all sorts of bits. 

Nice hash plates! :)

Thank you! :)

The trilobite pieces may be fragments of Dolichoharpes. I noticed you have added an "early devonian" tag. There are no early devonian rocks in middle TN. These are almost certainly middle/late ordovician. Nice finds!

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Lots of shell pieces and a few trilo bits, but no bone as far as I can tell.

Bone will typically have a different color from shell because of the different mineral makeup of the hard parts.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

48 minutes ago, BuddingPaleo said:

Wow! Beautiful! I could get lost in that rabbit hole for a long minute! 

Thanks, I enjoy poking around to see what all I can find. Luckily, I haven’t stumbled upon any snakes this year! 

40 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

The trilobite pieces may be fragments of Dolichoharpes. I noticed you have added an "early devonian" tag. There are no early devonian rocks in middle TN. These are almost certainly middle/late ordovician. Nice finds!

Thanks! I just googled Dolichoharpes. :)  ~ No Early Devonian fossils in middle Tennessee?:headscratch: (Clearly, I am still a novice at fossil hunting. I want to learn all I can regarding the fossils in my area.) I have read online that there are an abundance of Early Devonian fossils in eastern middle Tennessee. Incorrect, huh? :shrug:

20 minutes ago, ynot said:

Lots of shell pieces and a few trilo bits, but no bone as far as I can tell.

Bone will typically have a different color from shell because of the different mineral makeup of the hard parts.

Thanks for the information! Will the colors vary? I’ve noticed a few hash plates having what appear to be orange(ish) stains running across them. 

4 minutes ago, BLT said:

Will the colors vary?

The color in rocks is dependent on the minerals present, as the minerals vary so will the color.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, BLT said:

I have read online that there are an abundance of Early Devonian fossils in eastern middle Tennessee. Incorrect, huh?

That would be incorrect. It is possible that some very early references (19th century), used different ages, that were later revised.

There are quite a few areas near the western edge of middle TN, where silurian and devonian rocks can be found, but these layers are almost totally absent on the eastern side. 

1 hour ago, Paciphacops said:

That would be incorrect. It is possible that some very early references (19th century), used different ages, that were later revised.

There are quite a few areas near the western edge of middle TN, where silurian and devonian rocks can be found, but these layers are almost totally absent on the eastern side. 

Gotcha. Thank you again! :) 

Nice hash plate! I see some coral, bivalves and possibly spirorbis and sea urchin fragment? See circled below:

BLT2.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Nice hash plate! I see some coral, bivalves and possibly spirorbis and sea urchin fragment? See circled below:

BLT2.jpeg

The circled item is a bit of a Dolichoharpes  trilobite.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 8/18/2018 at 1:47 PM, Bronzviking said:

BLT2.jpeg

Thanks! :)

On 8/18/2018 at 2:20 PM, Fossildude19 said:

The circled item is a bit of a Dolichoharpes  trilobite.

Alrighty. Thanks!

On 8/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, erose said:

Those trilo-bits look a lot more like Cryptolithus to me. The rest of the material feels like middle Ordovician to me.  Dolichoharpes doesn't appear to have the perforations shown in the photo.  Go here for info on the Ordovician around Nashvillehttp://strata.uga.edu/nashville/index.html

Thanks for the information! 

On 8/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, erose said:

Those trilo-bits look a lot more like Cryptolithus to me. The rest of the material feels like middle Ordovician to me.  Dolichoharpes doesn't appear to have the perforations shown in the photo.  Go here for info on the Ordovician around Nashvillehttp://strata.uga.edu/nashville/index.html

+1 for Cryptolithus.  Dolichoharpes fragments are common in some exposures of Lebanon Limestone, but I have never found Cryptolithus before in TN. I'm guessing this is from the Leipers Catheys formation?

Cryptolithus-trilobite.png

Archived