Can anybody identify this possible fossil in a paving slab?

harrykeig

Hello,

My nephew has found what could be a fossil in a paving slab recently laid down at his house in Stratford-Upon-Avon in England. He wants to know if it is a fossil (and if so what kind of fossil it is) and I could do with some help identifying it. A picture is attached and I can attempt to get any extra information needed.

Regards,

Harry Keig

IMG-20180811-WA0000.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

I do not see a fossil, looks more like a mineral growth.

The rock (of the tile) does not look like the type of rock to have fossils in it.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

The rock (of the tile) does not look like the type of rock to have fossils in it.

Thank you for your reply!

I was thinking a similar thing but just wanted to confirm.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:10 PM, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

I have asked about the type of stone and it is made of sandstone which (as you probably know) is a sedimentary rock which I thought fossils were most likely to be found in. The type of markings on this doesn't seem like a fossil and instead, more like something previously said like manganese. Do you still think this is the case even though it is made of sedimentary rock?

Try to compare. :)

IMG-20180811-WA0000.jpg.5733eea1784a82d51ce9ad2d27996016.jpg.b2883fa77efafdb0b42b9f80c23d2e25.jpgE4350061-Pyrolusite_and_psilomelane_manganese_ores.jpg.e80e020ac9bcf6463d3b0ebe98a2578f.jpg

comparative picture from here

pyrolusite31034a.jpg.85466ac23db8ffacdd05c89b74ad86d3.jpg

picture from the internet

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, harrykeig said:

I have asked about the type of stone and it is made of sandstone which (as you probably know) is a sedimentary rock which I thought fossils were most likely to be found in. The type of markings on this doesn't seem like a fossil and instead, more like something previously said like manganese. Do you still think this is the case even though it is made of sedimentary rock?

My guess is that is a metamorphic sandstone, which would typically not have fossils in it.

And yes I still see a mineral growth, most likely manganese.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Do you have the opportunity to make a better close-up picture of what is in question, to make us be certain we are not wrong, please? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library