Handling small pyrite fossils

Max-fossils

Hi all,

So a few weeks ago now I went to the location Carniol in France to look for fossils. And we found lots! Most of the finds are pyrite ammonites, but we shouldn’t leave out all the belemnites and little shell steinkerns we found. All the fossils are from the Aptian stage of the Early Cretaceous, and apart from the belemnites all have been replaced by pyrite. 

So I've already taken out all the belemnites and rinsed the clay off of each one (they’re looking gorgeous right now!), because their shells are not made of pyrite (and seem not to require any special treatment). By the way, does anyone know why only the belemnites are not replaced by pyrite, while all the other fossils are??? 

But now comes the question of all the pyrite fossils. All are very small. Some were found already starting to “rust” (I suppose this is due to pyrite disease?), but most are still in good state. Nearly all are still partially covered in dry clay though, and (just like it did with the belemnites) I suppose it will come off very easily as soon as it comes in contact with water. But, here is where I am a little worried: 

Rust is due to the oxidation (—> oxygen) of iron. And in water there is oxygen too, and more of it than in air. Therefore I’m scared that rinsing the pyrite fossils will accelerate the process of pyrite disease and make them “rust” more quickly. 

So what should I do to clean the fossils? Is it okay if I simply rinse them off? Or is that a no-go? Or maybe I should do it in a special manner or with specific substances? 

And, finally, what do you think is the best way for me to handle these fossils so that they “survive the pyrite disease” the longest possible? I know that there are a few ways with some weird chemicals to treat them, but I’m only a kid with limited equipment, money and experience, so I’m not able to do anything too intricate or acquire very funky chemicals.

I’ve also read that apparently there are two different types of pyrite? How do I know which one my fossils are, and is there anything I should know more about it? 

Thanks in advance for your help to all those questions!

Max 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

If it were me, rinsing with water may be fine if you dry it thoroughly afterward. The oxidation process is not a sudden reaction, like lighting a coil of magnesium. :D As for how to delay the process, perform a search on the forum for "pyrite disease" and you'll encounter several topics dedicated to best practices. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 8/12/2018 at 2:17 PM, Kane said:

If it were me, rinsing with water may be fine if you dry it thoroughly afterward. The oxidation process is not a sudden reaction, like lighting a coil of magnesium. :D As for how to delay the process, perform a search on the forum for "pyrite disease" and you'll encounter several topics dedicated to best practices. 

Ok great, thanks! They do look good once the clay is washed off:

5926297E-DF52-48B0-B36C-D92A01A9D1DF.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, Max-fossils said:

All the fossils are from the Aptian stage of the late Cretaceous

Really nice ammonites, Max.

Can you correct the geologic setting for this topic and your contest?  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

48 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Really nice ammonites, Max.

Can you correct the geologic setting for this topic and your contest?  ;)

Whoops... The Aptian stage is indeed early Cretaceous and not late! 

Good spot, thanks. 

Unless you were referring to something else? 

Max Derème

I edited it for you.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I edited it for you.  ;)

Max Derème

@Max-fossils My personal favorite method is as follows:

1. Mix a liberal amount of Iron Out crystals (or some such suitable iron remover) with warm water. Approximately 1 cup to 1 gallon of water. The ratio is not exact.
  2. Soak the pyrite overnight.
  3. Remove pyrite from solution and scrub with toothbrush and liquid soap. Rinse and repeat a couple times.
  4. Towel dry the specimens.
  5. Allow to dry for several days on a cardboard flat or heat on lowest oven setting for an hour or so.
  6. Coat specimens in McGean B15, Paraloid, or Butvar dissolved in acetone (50:1 acetone to plastic). Apply 2-3 coats.

My experience has been that this fully stabilizes pyritized fossils. I have many ammonites that have undergone this treatment and then are boxed up for years without experiencing any pyrite decay.

20 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@Max-fossils There are a number of threads in the forum about preserving pyritized fossils. Here is one of them. Some relatively simple solutions can be found there.          

Thanks, just read the thread and learnt some stuff. Will have to do a more thorough search on the forum sometime soon. 

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

1. Mix a liberal amount of Iron Out crystals (or some such suitable iron remover) 

Ok thanks for the help! One thing though: wouldn't this remove the pyrite crystals and the golden pyrite sheen from my fossils? 

Max Derème

It may remove some of the golden sheen as that is caused by oxidization. Once fully cleaned, the result is a more shiny steel-like appearance. 

I’ve tried sealing without the cleaning process and the decay continues unabated.

Archived