samwood

So I’ve been to Bracklesham bay 3 times now and never found a shark tooth or a ray dental plate, this was after hours of searching through the shingle on the beach and across the sand when the tide is out. I’ve heard that conditions for teeth are best after/during scouring conditions but I don’t live close to the beach. Can I go by the the weather being stormy or rainy? Also I’ve heard the fossiliferous beds can be exposed sometimes when the tied is out, is this completely random or connected to ‘scouring conditions’? Any helpful advice relating to best times to go and how to find out when the beds are exposed is greatly appreciated. Also any tips for finding teeth or dental plates? Thanks

Almost any fossil hunting is best after a good rain, because the rain usually exposes new stuff.

I’m not familiar with the location you mentioned, but if the teeth are embedded in rock it may take a scouring like a storm to release them. Also, if the beach is rocky vs sandy it may take a good storm to move stuff around.

However if the teeth are in sand and the beach is sandy then rain will improve your odds.

I get the frustration of not finding teeth. There is a well known creek here in Texas where people come away with abundant numbers of teeth, yet I fail to find them. I have started taking a colander and a sieve with me and then I found some small ones. You may try something like a sieve to help improve your odds.

• I found this Informative 1

Time exposure of "good levels" is control by big tide, you will be probably more Lucky during very low tide (like equinox), and of course if it is not too muddy.

If you find levels with Cardita and ostrea, sure you get shark teeth.

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

There is a well known creek here in Texas where people come away with abundant numbers of teeth, yet I fail to find them.

I totally feel the same. I keep seeing posts of people at Matoaka beach (near me) who are finding Megs and huge other teeth and after many times searching there i have only found one monster tooth. Its kind of sad to watch someone 20 feet away from you pick up a 3 inch meg from under a clay boulder you were planning on going for next.... :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!