Matoaka Beach 8-12-18

FossilsAnonymous

I packed up my gear and wandered along the Matoakan cliffs for my thousandth time now (that's what it feels like) and had a half decent day. I found two teeth with guesses for both that I want to ask y'all for conformation, and some weird scute type things.

Scutes:

IMG_1623.JPG.7d55aeb83fa55e240101f48115ce90a0.JPGIMG_1622.JPG.70bef5a52cab3da04de908a71da98792.JPG

Tooth One: Thresher? 1/2 inch in size

IMG_1630.JPG.ca9e01b1ec43a07f0758317ccc08a70b.JPGIMG_1628.JPG.00b324521c47e6de85d175f0aa08dbe4.JPGIMG_1627.JPG.9eb0f2b6c392164e926f35bfb61e07f0.JPG

Tooth Two: Baby Meg or Silky?

IMG_1633.JPG.0846e8c4fec77e2f70da53225a0c4297.JPG

Final Finds

IMG_1631.JPG

Thanks Guys! I may also add that I felt so miffed when someone pulled up a big meg from a clay boulder I was going to go to next. Its like the Shark Tooth gods are against me. What sacrilege have I committed? :hearty-laugh:

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Nice finds! Hopefully the fossils gods will give you a break with the people smuggling what would have been your finds. 

: )

Just now, Trevor said:

Nice finds! Hopefully the fossils gods will give you a break with the people smuggling what would have been your finds. 

Hah! I felt happy for the dude but not happy for myself...

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

“Scutes” are pieces from a sand dollar (Abertella aberti), yup on the thresher though I can’t tell which one from the pics, and carcharhinid perhaps silky on the one you guessed to be. Megs from Matoaka, has the world gone mad? Lucky guy.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

About sea urchin, how can you give us a species name with so few elements and without a precise place of discovery ? :headscratch:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

About sea urchin, how can you give us a species name with so few elements and without a precise place of discovery ? :headscratch:

Coco

Very few of them here and this ones the most common, and is very distinctive. He also said he found it at a beach called Matoaka which has many pieces of these. They are very very rarely found complete.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

OK !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg