Help Identity This Fossil!

Victoria

Victoria.... can you post some more details of where it was found etc... if you know, so members can gauge the age and type of the rock... This helps narrow down what it could be... It looks remarkably like wormtubes, but quite complex and very interesting... well done for finding that.... Im sure someone can help.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Victoria.... can you post some more details of where it was found etc... if you know, so members can gauge the age and type of the rock... This helps narrow down what it could be... It looks remarkably like wormtubes, but quite complex and very interesting... well done for finding that.... Im sure someone can help.....

I have no idea where it came from, my grandfather got it many years ago and he cannot remember. He was known for buying stuff at flea markets and yard sales.... Victoria

It's a fascinating piece, though I cannot add to its identification.

Here it is, lunchtime, and all I can think about is macaroni and cheese...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-2187-1251817416116_thumb.jpg

It can only be two things:

A- Calcyte Worm tubes of a bigger colony

B- Some type of gasteropoda members (vermetiilids)are very similar to them.

The only thing to do, is try to post a better pic, and more info of the place will be of great help!

Victoria -

Again, I feel the pictures represent the calcareous living chambers of polychaete worms, maybe from the family serpulidae (i'm reaching here, because i'm no expert on serpulids).

the problem with saying more is that marine worms have existed for many millions of years in many thousands of species, and there's zero context available in this instance.

if the specimen were mine, i'd just label it "marine worm tubes".

It is the only fossil I own and actually tried selling it on ebay but without a description it didn't sell. Any idea where I can unload it?