Trevor

Dear fellow forum goers,

These past few weeks have been quite busy, but that has not stopped me from going on the occasional fossil excursion. A few trips went by since my last posting and I decided to let some trips accumulate before posting again. On these trips I interacted with forum members @Woopaul5 and @frankh8147. The most recent trip was today, 08/12/18, and was somewhat productive. Frank found what we believe to be a part of a mosasaur brain case, which will surely be in his "finds of the year list". I was not as luck but ended up scoring a small point fragment and a jaw section of some fish. There were also some nice quality teeth that I found today. Other than this trip, I scored some nice finds on a few other trips throughout the two months. I hope you enjoy the finds, as I enjoyed finding them, and have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Trevor 

Overall Finds

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.4bf897e38d23cd585c9473da746087ee.JPG

Stream Worn Shark's Teeth 

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.edb9fcf4594e2352ef445bf4c17896b4.JPG

: )

Some VERY nice teeth in there! Nice job!:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Artifacts, Ratfish Jaw Sections, and Coprolite

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.5990fbc1e1b837c3b6568d3b7775c44b.JPG

Ratfish Jaw Sections, Shark's Teeth, and Two Ray Dermal Denticles 

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.1724e6c50009596018f4b9162e4e449e.JPG

Vertebrae, Mosasaur Teeth, Gastropod, Ratfish Spine Section, Cephalic Clasper, and Bone

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.a6111a298014d46603ac0834b195fc26.JPG

Scutes and Shark's Teeth

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.0cd146462c27d0c9eb7777e8b8f20a38.JPG

Fish Jaw Section

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.5cafa9488587736d7262810a83f0c2a0.JPG

Sawfish Rostral Spines and Crushing Fish Teeth (Not Drum Fish but cant remember name)

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.39882c2d7e3f01e9394d0733d4291c3e.JPG

Ray Tooth, Shark's Teeth, and Pathological Shark Tooth

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.2309db6f31a68372c7a91e0255ea64fd.JPG

I think the crusher type teeth are Pycnodont if I'm not mistaken. Great finds! I only found my first semi-complete mosasaur tooth this past April which was my fourth trip down to the brooks. I guess i'm just unlucky when it comes to finding them.

3 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I think the crusher type teeth are Pycnodont if I'm not mistaken. Great finds! I only found my first semi-complete mosasaur tooth this past April which was my fourth trip down to the brooks. I guess i'm just unlucky when it comes to finding them.

It takes me about 18.5 hours of hunting to find a single mosasaur fragment. Just keep hunting and you will find more.

8 minutes ago, Trevor said:

It takes me about 18.5 hours of hunting to find a single mosasaur fragment. Just keep hunting and you will find more.

And that's exactly what I intend to do. You just gotta work hard for them.

Awesome finds!!! Glad to meet you a few weeks ago. That large Squalicorax is amazing!

18.5 hrs for mosasaurs... out of 30+ trips all I’ve found is 1 tooth and 1 vert. 

Nice stuff Trevor. The left dermal denticle is the Rhombodus/Brachyrhizodus type. The right one is a rare "Peyeria sp." type of denticle, but is really likely the denticle of an Ischyrhiza mira.

The fish jaw is a lateral segment of Enchodus jaw.

The "crushing fish teeth" are that of Anomoeodus phaseolus. The pathological shark tooth is an upper lateral Scapanorhynchus.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

14 hours ago, Trevor said:

Wow I thought they were more common there. I average 1 per hour at NSR in Texas. You still have some nice finds. 

2 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Wow I thought they were more common there. I average 1 per hour at NSR in Texas. You still have some nice finds. 

I was just looking at some of your finds Jarrod and that makes a lot more sense as to how you have so many mosasaur teeth, many of which are great quality. Makes me want to go hunting on the NSR

36 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I was just looking at some of your finds Jarrod and that makes a lot more sense as to how you have so many mosasaur teeth, many of which are great quality. Makes me want to go hunting on the NSR

Come visit sometime and if I"m home from offshore I would be glad to show you around. 

43 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Come visit sometime and if I"m home from offshore I would be glad to show you around. 

Thanks, I would love to go down to Texas at some point but I just have no idea when wouls I have the time to. 

4 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Ha, that sounds like heaven. 

36 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Ha, that sounds like heaven. 

Lol it's not always something great but lots of stuff to be found. I really like that red artifact on the top of your pic. 

4 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Lol it's not always something great but lots of stuff to be found. I really like that red artifact on the top of your pic. 

Thank you, artifacts are uncommon in the brooks. It was odd, I found both the red one and small black one on the same day!

I think better pictures are needed to say if its Peyeria.    Its possible but I'm leaning towards not.  

22 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice stuff Trevor. The left dermal denticle is the Rhombodus/Brachyrhizodus type. The right one is a rare "Peyeria sp." type of denticle, but is really likely the denticle of an Ischyrhiza mira.

The fish jaw is a lateral segment of Enchodus jaw.

The "crushing fish teeth" are that of Anomoeodus phaseolus. The pathological shark tooth is an upper lateral Scapanorhynchus.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

1 minute ago, non-remanié said:

I think better pictures are needed to say if its Peyeria.    Its possible but I'm leaning towards not.  

Yeah, better pics are probably needed. I think I see longitudinal ridges on it, but maybe that is an artifact of wear.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Archived