RiseOfTheExtinct

Does anyone know what the creek going through the campus of William and Mary is called? I hear it has a lot of fossils.

RiseOfTheExtinct

Does anyone know? I hear there's many fossils there. On all of the maps, though, there's no name for the creek. I know it's random, but I just want to try hunting there with a friend. Thanks!

~RiseOfTheExtinct

DPS Ammonite

College Creek forms the western boundry.

Parts of two tributaries to College Creek going thru campus have the name of Crim and Grim Dells.

SailingAlongToo
3 hours ago, RiseOfTheExtinct said:

Does anyone know? I hear there's many fossils there. On all of the maps, though, there's no name for the creek. I know it's random, but I just want to try hunting there with a friend. Thanks!

~RiseOfTheExtinct

Just watch out for Mr. or Mrs. No-Shoulders and poison ivy this time of year and make sure you don't stray on private property. Some of the property owners bordering W&M land get quite testy when strangers wander around and especially if they start digging in the stream bottom or banks. 

caldigger
2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Just watch out for Mr. or Mrs. No-Shoulders

?

RiseOfTheExtinct

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate it!

SailingAlongToo
2 hours ago, caldigger said:

?

SNAKES! We have poisonous snakes in this area. The creeks/streams she is asking about are "prime" real estate for 2 species of them. It is also only about 15 miles from known habitat for a 3rd. With the heavy rains / flooding we've had over last month, weeds & vegetation are growing big & hide Mr or Mrs No-Shoulders.

RiseOfTheExtinct

You make a valid point. I didn't even think of the dangers of the Williamsburg jungle! Although I'm immune to poison ivy. I think I should be fine on that matter. Now the snakes, maybe not. But here's the thing: my opinion, wasps and bees are way scarier. Plus snakes tend to hide from humans, not go after them. You're pretty much in the spot about danger though. I thank you for your concern. I will take your comment and concern into consideration. I may go to Fossil Beach at York River State Park instead. Or Chippokes.