Does anyone know what the creek going through the campus of William and Mary is called? I hear it has a lot of fossils.

RiseOfTheExtinct

Does anyone know? I hear there's many fossils there. On all of the maps, though, there's no name for the creek. I know it's random, but I just want to try hunting there with a friend. Thanks!

~RiseOfTheExtinct

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."

College Creek forms the western boundry.

Parts of two tributaries to College Creek going thru campus have the name of Crim and Grim Dells.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheExtinct said:

Does anyone know? I hear there's many fossils there. On all of the maps, though, there's no name for the creek. I know it's random, but I just want to try hunting there with a friend. Thanks!

~RiseOfTheExtinct

Just watch out for Mr. or Mrs. No-Shoulders and poison ivy this time of year and make sure you don't stray on private property. Some of the property owners bordering W&M land get quite testy when strangers wander around and especially if they start digging in the stream bottom or banks. 

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Just watch out for Mr. or Mrs. No-Shoulders

?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate it!

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

?

SNAKES! We have poisonous snakes in this area. The creeks/streams she is asking about are "prime" real estate for 2 species of them. It is also only about 15 miles from known habitat for a 3rd. With the heavy rains / flooding we've had over last month, weeds & vegetation are growing big & hide Mr or Mrs No-Shoulders.

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

You make a valid point. I didn't even think of the dangers of the Williamsburg jungle! Although I'm immune to poison ivy. I think I should be fine on that matter. Now the snakes, maybe not. But here's the thing: my opinion, wasps and bees are way scarier. Plus snakes tend to hide from humans, not go after them. You're pretty much in the spot about danger though. I thank you for your concern. I will take your comment and concern into consideration. I may go to Fossil Beach at York River State Park instead. Or Chippokes.