Need Help Identifying Fossils Found in Northern Arizona

Jandm27

Found these in the tall pine forests of Northern Arizona, at about 7k ft elevation. Saw the edge of one sticking out if the dirt after a big storm, and it was unlike any other rocks in the area. The second was found within inches of the first. I dont even know if they are actually fossils,  but they dont look like petrified wood, and they certainly aren't rock, feel more  like glass or porcelain. 

20180813_134056.jpg

20180813_135432.jpg

They look like chert nodules and can be highly variable in shape or color.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

These look like chert nodules

Sometimes, nodules/concretions can contain fossils, but I am not seeing any fossils on the outside of these.

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sure these look like chert nodules!

But I have two questions:

1. Is the location/formation right for chert nodules?

2. In the large photo, there seems to be a stylolite running from lower left to upper right, probably cut at a very oblique angle. But this interpretation can also be total bogus and this feature only a random crack.

Franz Bernhard

I agree that is chert. Try to compare with tripolitic chert. Take a look here:

20180813_134056.jpg.b1246d89fc237564b994bb7c8d5bf31c.thumb.jpg.66e77fc9fa74cf4cbafec366b84a47b5.jpg20170423_164829.jpg.55c2ae2e64f9d1c2be4bbc64899d0621.jpg.2e45bee87b4f4490fb8fb3aebcc84b3a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the Forum.

It looks like chert to me, similar to that from the Permian Kaibab Limestone. Look at my geological maps section of my Arizona Paleontology Guide to find out what rocks are in your area. link What formation is it from?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you all for the quick responses! And we hoped we have found the fossils of indominus rex! Still some cool rock formations, I guess the kids can play with them now. 

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum.

It looks like chert to me, similar to that from the Permian Kaibab Limestone. Look at my geological maps section of my Arizona Paleontology Guide to find out what rocks are in your area. link What formation is it from?

Looking at the maps you linked it would either be Basalt or Kaibab Limestone. Where we were at is right on the border of an area that has both.

Edited by Jandm27

13 minutes ago, Jandm27 said:

Basalt or Kaibab Limestone.

Was the rock black? Then basalt. Any other color and it was most likely the limestone.

Both can have cryptocrystalline quartz in them.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.