Found a Pennsylvanian age shark today!

fossilcrazy

Today turned out to be a good day to go through Linton Cannel Coal. I haven't searched the fossil coal in a while. Just for fun, I was looking through some blocks when I spotted a shark spine buried in a thin layer of spore cannel. Usually when I split the coal, I use a knife, but this piece was so thin and fragile I decided to blow of the layer with an air nozzle. When I did this, not only did I see a spine, but nearly a complete Shark was there. Typically the size of the coal block limits the fossil size. Today's fossil Orthacanthus compressus was missing the head and the tip of the tail. Sigh.  This shark is from a coal mine in SE Ohio. The coal is Upper Pennsylvanian in age (300 myo). I have included a sketch of what an Orthacanthus may have looked like. 

P1010019R.JPG

P1010026R.JPG

P1010028R.JPG

Orthacanthus.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Awesome find, John!  :wub: 

Thanks for posting it. 

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of brightening the first two pictures. 

P1010019R.thumb.JPG.efe84ff77d2ce25ac0b2f77217ca5c8f.JPG      P1010026R.JPG.79392037886cff6f3f627cd5e1fb6887.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow. That's definitely my VFOTM. Nice Find! :envy:

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Too bad the rest of it isn't there. Still, that is one amazing find! Congratulations John. Definitely a FOTM candidate. Good luck! 

Well wow! Special in the best sort of way and what a reward!!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Awesome find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That's one of the best (if not the best) Linton xenacanth I've seen. Might consider donating this to a museum.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, jdp said:

That's one of the best (if not the best) Linton xenacanth I've seen. Might consider donating this to a museum.

What a great find, and a nice tool to help all of us to learn something about shark fossils. Even if you decide not to donate it I'm sure Dr. Maisey at the AMNH would love to have a look and maybe take some measurements. These are his specialty.

Wow. Fantastic find. Learned something new today and that from someone who has found 10s of 1000s of shark teeth.  Thanks very much for sharing and Kudos to  @fossildude for the enhancements. :fistbump:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 hours ago, BobWill said:

What a great find, and a nice tool to help all of us to learn something about shark fossils. Even if you decide not to donate it I'm sure Dr. Maisey at the AMNH would love to have a look and maybe take some measurements. These are his specialty.

Personally I would recommend the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh as they currently maintain the biggest Linton collection.

• I found this Informative 2