Don't flip over a rock in a creek...

aplomado

2 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

One of my pet peeves is when people mix up poisonous and venomous.( I know you didn't make the picture) venomous is when your injected with it into your bloodstream. Poison is when you ingest it.

Yeah same here. That pic was disproving that diagram (on the left) by the way, the guys that made that definitely know the difference ;) 

4 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Yeah, the best way to get beaten is to bother this little chap.

Lok at this handsome guy, we have around in Kyushu Japan.

when I was stationed on Okinawa we were always on the lookout for the Habu.

Protobothrops flavoviridis. I think he is only found on the Ryukyu Islands. Have you heard of him?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

12 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

By eating poisonous toads, it stocks, all the poison in some gland and secrets poison all over its body.

Makes me think twice before licking docile snakes...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ummmm, that's something you have to think twice about? :rofl:

1 minute ago, Walt said:

when I was stationed on Okinawa we were always on the lookout for the Habu.

Protobothrops flavoviridis. I think he is only found on the Ryukyu Islands. Have you heard of him?

Yes, it is an endemic species from Okinawa, a kind of pit viper under steroid. They make a good alcohol from it. it is called ハブ酒 (habusake)

Have you tried it?

Here in Kyushu we have the Mamushi (Gloydius blomhoffii), which is a lighter version of the Habu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Or eating your sandwich outside without washing your hand 

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

7 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Yes, it is an endemic species from Okinawa, a kind of pit viper under steroid. They make a good alcohol from it. it is called ハブ酒 (habusake)

Have you tried it?

Here in Kyushu we have the Mamushi (Gloydius blomhoffii), which is a lighter version of the Habu.

I knew they made sake from it but never tried it. I stuck to the Orion beer. :) i did like the habu/mongoose fights. Those mongoose (mongeese? :) ) are tough little fellows. They would get bit again and again before killing the snake. Then fall over "dead" before shaking off the venom a few minutes later.

7 hours ago, Walt said:

Ummmm, that's something you have to think twice about? :rofl:

If you did lick a snake it would probably not be something you thought about even once;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I probably would have caught one for closer inspection, like I did with this little fella at summer camp this year:

IMG_20180602_114231.thumb.jpg.b9a35109d4ec654442ed43f4a6d49c05.jpg

In the US, all the venomous snakes have traits that make them dead give-aways. Usually trangular/wider head, eye shape and for certain snakes (such as coral), color patterns. Basically, you'll know a venomous snake when you see one 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I probably would have caught one for closer inspection, like I did with this little fella at summer camp this year:

In the US, all the venomous snakes have traits that make them dead give-aways. Usually trangular/wider head, eye shape and for certain snakes (such as coral), color patterns. Basically, you'll know a venomous snake when you see one 

We only have one venomous snake in the UK and it is not really dangerous named the Adder. I think there is a Coral snake rhyme based on their banding “Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow”

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Looks like an Eastern Wormsnake (Carphophis amoenus amoenus).

6 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

We only have one venomous snake in the UK and it is not really dangerous named the Adder. I think there is a Coral snake rhyme based on their banding “Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow”

For illustration:

coralsnake.JPG

coralsnakeB.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

8 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

That's the saying. Red on black = Scarlet/Scarlet King, Red on yellow = Coral.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like an Eastern Wormsnake (Carphophis amoenus amoenus).

Sure is. 

9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think there is a Coral snake rhyme based on their banding “Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow”

This works with snakes in the US but not so good outside the US. South America has coral snakes with black next to the red. Micrurus lemniscatus is one example.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

This works with snakes in the US but not so good outside the US. South America has coral snakes with black next to the red. Micrurus lemniscatus is one example.

Just google that snake and it does have black next to red it also has black next to light yellow. I always think it pays to know what the dangers are when your fossil hunting like snakes,  other creatures and even the tides.   I always let my wife know where you are going and when I am coming home .

Like I said, treat all wild animals with the utmost of respect . Which is common sense .

Archived