Help ID with large structure

Digs

Found along the Fundy coast in New Brunswick, Canada. In an area called Rockport. The stone in which this structure is encased is approximately 60cm by 40cm. It would be in the "BP" area of the map I posted.

Is this a fossil? and if so, of what?

Thank you for looking.

114-08-2018.jpg

ageo43art10_fig1.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :) 

Thanks for providing the map to help us out! From what I can gather in this image, it does look like water-worn mudstone or sandstone. This would likely be Pennsylvanian in age, but a closer image of the object can't hurt!

"The bulk of the formation comprises trough cross-bedded sandstones interpreted as braided river deposits. The rivers flowed from largely felsic igneous provenance areas in the west, toward the region of the present-day Bay of Fundy. Paleocurrents indicate a dominant northeast-directed drainage system, which deviated toward the southeast in the vicinity of Cape Maringouin, about a paleogeographic high related to the penecontemporaneous Harvey-Hopewell Fault" 

Excerpted abstract from:

Browne, Gregory Hawtrey (1991 [1943]). "The Sedimentology Of The Boss Point Formation (pennsylvanian), Eastern New Brunswick And Northern Nova Scotia (volumes I And II)"

LINK

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Unfortunately I don't have any more pictures of it. I would need to take more on my next trip out if there is any interest in it on these forums. Here are some pictures of it's direct surroundings, perhaps these will help.

2-1-14-08-2018.jpg

1-1-14-08-2018.jpg

If you do go back to that spot, more pictures would definitely be helpful, at least insofar as we could confirm it better.

Thank you for posting these lovely images - it is truly a lovely part of the country (well, just about all of NB is lovely), and that distinctive banding of strata shows such promise! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived