MarcoSr

As rays in a number of species grow, they increase the number of teeth in their jaws through a process called file splitting.  The below pictures and text are from elasmo.com:

“In the accompanying image of the Roughtail Stingray, the fifth upper left file is in the process of splitting. The oldest tooth (at the labial margin) has a normal design. The following tooth is laterally expanded and by the third row, a second cusp is clearly visible. It is possible that these teeth still share a common root. In row five, there are now two teeth occupying the old (now expanded) file 5 position.”

image.png.ab2b1a6100b156cf74b752a1083500a2.png

I’ve seen a number of examples of file splitting ray teeth in the fossil ray teeth that I collect and I thought that I would post a few examples.

I just recently found an example of a file splitting tooth (3 mm) from an Archaeomanta melenhorsti ray from the Eocene of Virginia.  In this specimen you can see two distinct crowns but the crowns haven’t fully separated yet (there is also a bit of pyrite between the crowns) and two root lobes but they haven’t completely separated yet either.

5b744b73bbaae_Archaeomantamelenhorstifilesplitting3mm.jpg.a90959bcf1f6917daeecfb650a8b99f0.jpg

Here is an example of a file splitting tooth (2.5 mm) from a Coupatezia woutersi ray from the Eocene of Virginia.  In this specimen you can see two distinct crowns but the crowns haven’t fully separated yet and there is only a shared single set of root lobes.

5b744b76d780a_Coupateziawoutersi1bfilesplitting2_5mm.jpg.0384b5944e3ba9a1268e04ffdab001b1.jpg5b744b755b081_Coupateziawoutersifilesplitting2_5mm.jpg.a174f3707e2e136ae67fe21531c15ba8.jpg

Here is an example of a file splitting tooth (4.5 mm) from a Dasyatis sp. ray from the Miocene of Florida.  In this specimen you can see two completely separated crowns but the root lobes have not fully separated yet.

5b744b7866da6_Dasyatissp.filesplitting4_5mm.jpg.926e92f4df89c421bf37aff8ccd01d5f.jpg

If you have any examples of ray file splitting teeth in your collection, please take some pictures and add them to this post.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 10

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

It never occurred to me that this happens in rays.:blush:

Even normal Dasyatis teeth look ready to split!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Very nice little fun fact Marco!

Thanks for the new objective.

Tony

I used to think teeth like this were pathological but after seeing the elasmo write-up and doing some further research I realized that they were file splitting teeth.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

It never occurred to me that this happens in rays.:blush:

Even normal Dasyatis teeth look ready to split!

Chas

It never occurred to me either until I saw the elasmo write-up a while back.  I haven't found many fossil file splitting teeth but if you do have an extant ray jaw with them usually you only see a couple among hundreds of regular teeth so they are a very small percentage of ray teeth. 

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1