Fossil found on shore in NC, Any idea what it might be?

MCD01127

Hello everyone!  My son found this today on the shore of Topsail.  Any idea what it is or what it may be from?  

20180816_170723.jpg

20180816_170730.jpg

20180816_170735.jpg

20180816_170740.jpg

20180816_170747.jpg

20180816_170757.jpg

20180816_170803.jpg

20180816_173358.jpg

20180816_173405_001.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

looks just like its twins on google :)  

Well done!

Does anyone know if she will need to stabilize it?  There are some pretty good cracks running through it.....

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Welcome to the Fossil Forum!  You certainly made a spectacular entry with that fossil.  :envy: As the others have said, it is a tooth from a mastodon, a type of Ice Age (Pleistocene) elephant.  These fossils are sometimes found offshore, as sea level was lower during the glacial stages of the Pleistocene when a lot of water was locked up in glaciers, so some of the continental shelf was exposed and inhabited by various animals.  They wash up on beaches after storms.  Your son's fossil is an excellent and fairly rare example.  You may want to carefully soak it in some changes of clean water to remove any salt from the sea water.  Then you should let it dry slowly (so it doesn't crack any more) and treat it with a consolidant to make sure it doesn't crack and fall apart.  Hopefully others with experience with this sort of fossil can advise you about techniques to treat and preserve your fossil.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

40 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

You certainly made a spectacular entry with that fossil.

I'll say! Your son must be exceedingly proud and happy. Welcome to the Fossil Forum. We need way more of these exciting fossils to ID. Looking forward to seeing your future finds.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Beautiful mastodon tooth

I wonder how can I miss this? :D

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Terrific find from your son! :)

And a very warm welcome to you both from Morocco. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Your piece is in truly wonderful shape for a beach find.  Quick rub your hand over your sons' head.:Welcome-crab:

3 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Quick rub your hand over your sons' head.

And after you do that, give me the lotto numbers for next week :)

Welcome from Louisiana!  How old is your son?

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so much everyone!  He is so excited.  He's 14, and it's pretty much the coolest thing ever right now!

9 minutes ago, MCD01127 said:

Thank you so much everyone!  He is so excited.  He's 14, and it's pretty much the coolest thing ever right now!

It is incredible cool find and from an amazing creature.

12 minutes ago, MCD01127 said:

Well he should certainly get an "A" on any "What I did this summer" essays. 

You know, he can be a youth member on here if he'd like. Our moderators are a strict bunch and keep a squeaky clean, "G" rated forum.  It is a good place to learn about all the different areas of paleontology.  Just a thought! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Wow. Amazing find! I don't think I know of anyone finding one on a beach like that. 

I found one several years ago and mine had the a large portion of the root which was actually soft. I used a brush to apply a layer of butvar (dissolved in acetone) to stabilize it. 

Welcome from France, your son is a lucky one. How old is he ?:mammoth:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg