Grayson Formation ID urchin spine?

KimTexan

Echinoid urchin spine is a complete guess. I don’t have a clue.

Does anyone know what the tan thing with bumps is? It is just over 2 cm long so far. I found it in the Cretaceous, Grayson Formation in North Texas. It has Mariella brazoensis, Waconela wacoensis, a little nautilus, way too many oysters among other things in the conglomerate with it.

Could it be an urchin spine? It has tiny, basically microscopic bumps all over it too.

It still needs work uncovering. I came to the oyster on top of it and will have to take another approach to removing the oyster.

2388C917-D7E1-43A3-9EC1-C8B99963BFBB.thumb.jpeg.35f2975d5cd90001b93be23396bec4cf.jpeg

Looks like an echinoid spine fragment at the top left of the crustacean leg. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OK with John : could be a part of a sea urchin spine on the left side.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Looks like an echinoid spine fragment at the top left of the crustacean leg. 

Yes, I believe that is a fragment of an echinoid spine on the left. This conglomerate is full of all kinds of stuff.

There is this thing in the conglomerate. It’s got oysters all around it. So it needs more work to get it out. I’m thinking it is a horn from a Graysonites ammonite, but not sure yet. If so only a fragment of it is present. 

DB3904E9-A509-4907-A03B-77FDFDFD0EC8.thumb.jpeg.259cf436d18706cecab4d0fa99ca6898.jpeg

The conglomerate split in two. Before it did I had not noticed it. This is the back side of the same half. The other half all you see is gray mud looking matrix.

4A7AA39D-8EF9-47CB-B817-8037D9FBE306.thumb.jpeg.12132486dcd20694d757380bbdd162e9.jpeg

This is the horn from the side. It would be a pretty thin horn if it were from a Graysonites, so I’m wondering if it is something else. I have found 2 Graysonites in the same area, but their horns don’t really match this. Maybe it’s another species.

Any thoughts as to what it could be?

CACFB8EA-4B19-43E5-B807-4F0C330F79FD.jpeg

Dipoloceras can have horns like that but I believe they are only in the Goodland and Comanche Peak Formations and pretty rare.

6 hours ago, BobWill said:

Dipoloceras can have horns like that but I believe they are only in the Goodland and Comanche Peak Formations and pretty rare.

So, do you have any ideas as to what it could be? I tend to think it is an ammonite fragment with a horn on it, but it could be something else. 

This is kind of funny, but when I first saw it I thought starfish. I’d been looking at places to hunt in the Ordovician and Silurian of Oklahoma and found a couple places that had starfish on the menu.

I will keep working on this conglomerate for a while longer. I’ll try to expose it. I’m sure I’ll discover other things too.

2 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

So, do you have any ideas as to what it could be?

I'm afraid not but please lets know when you get some more exposed.

Archived