Limpetforce

Helpful for newbies...

Limpetforce

Hi,

I hope this is ok to post here (still getting used to the site)

I'm just starting out and have stumbled across this.. it's a free pdf download for an introduction in Paleontology.. I'm finding pretty interesting and helpful. I thought it might help out others in the same boat as I am.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://pages.geo.wvu.edu/~kammer/g231/JacksonTest1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjauJ2iyvTcAhXDCMAKHUvQBq0QFjAEegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1OqWyM4u6TgghOcwHsS5fH&cshid=1534525915866

If there's anything wrong with this post please let me know.

Raggedy Man

Thanks for sharing this. Im sure this will be valuable to any new members just starting out in our fantastic obsession.

Limpetforce

I've also come across an app In the android play store by the National History Museum called Fossil Explorer, it gives information on common fossils and it also uses geological maps, you can pick out an area via the map or type in a post code directly.

Walt

This is a good read.  Thank you!

Limpetforce
Just now, Walt said:

This is a good read.  Thank you!

No worries ^_^

Limpetforce
13 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thanks for sharing this. Im sure this will be valuable to any new members just starting out in our fantastic obsession.

I'm just happy to find a gathering of information in one place. I have noticed that there really isn't much free info out there for someone just starting up.

Fossildude19
34 minutes ago, Limpetforce said:

Hi,

I hope this is ok to post here (still getting used to the site)

I'm just starting out and have stumbled across this.. it's a free pdf download for an introduction in Paleontology.. I'm finding pretty interesting and helpful. I thought it might help out others in the same boat as I am.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://pages.geo.wvu.edu/~kammer/g231/JacksonTest1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjauJ2iyvTcAhXDCMAKHUvQBq0QFjAEegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1OqWyM4u6TgghOcwHsS5fH&cshid=1534525915866

If there's anything wrong with this post please let me know.

Nothing wrong. 
I did move it to our "Documents" Sub Forum.  ;) 

You get a few mulligans when you are new and learning the ropes.  :)  

Limpetforce
6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nothing wrong. 
I did move it to our "Documents" Sub Forum.  ;) 

You get a few mulligans when you are new and learning the ropes.  :)  

Oops...I haven't even come across that yet.. don't I feel silly:wacko:

Thank you

Herb

FYI for newer members. There are many downloadable publications located on the various Stale Geological Survey sites. From short papers to complete books (Paleontology of New York, 771 pages) and many are free.

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, Limpetforce said:

Oops...I haven't even come across that yet.. don't I feel silly:wacko:

Thank you

No worries. :) 

It is a large place, and does take some investigatiion to find all of the fossily goodness that this site contains. ;) 

Limpetforce
31 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

No worries. :) 

It is a large place, and does take some investigatiion to find all of the fossily goodness that this site contains. ;) 

I'm finding the fossily goodness rather addictive.. pretty much spent most of my day on here instead of working:D

Fruitbat

If it's free literature you're looking for on a variety of fossil-related topics then you need go no further than my pdf library here on TFF.  It contains links to thousands of paleontology-related papers, some highly technical and some at the 'beginner' level.  Here's a LINK to the Table of Contents.  You can take it from there.

-Joe

Limpetforce
4 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

If it's free literature you're looking for on a variety of fossil-related topics then you need go no further than my pdf library here on TFF.  It contains links to thousands of paleontology-related papers, some highly technical and some at the 'beginner' level.  Here's a LINK to the Table of Contents.  You can take it from there.

-Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for that :) i really appreciate it:D