Can you find shark teeth on the east coast of australia?

FrostbyteFossils

Is there anywhere to find shark teeth(or other fossils) on the east coast beaches of NSW, Australia?

Hi,

Unfortunately, vertebrate material is very rare in most parts of Australia and extremely rare along the NSW coast. You won't find any shark teeth but you can find fossil plants and shells at beaches around Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong. Amphibian and fish fossils have been found along the NSW coast but they are extremely rare. If you ever go down to Victoria, there are a couple sites you can find fossil shark teeth. Sites that you are most likely to find them are: Beaumaris cliffs, Batesford Quarry, Bairnsdale and the Surf Coast.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

• I found this Informative 3

8 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

Hi,

Unfortunately, vertebrate material is very rare in most parts of Australia and extremely rare along the NSW coast. You won't find any shark teeth but you can find fossil plants and shells at beaches around Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong. Amphibian and fish fossils have been found along the NSW coast but they are extremely rare. If you ever go down to Victoria, there are a couple sites you can find fossil shark teeth. Sites that you are most likely to find them are: Beaumaris cliffs, Batesford Quarry, Bairnsdale and the Surf Coast.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Thank you very much.

Fossil shark teeth have been dredged up on the Gold Coast and can be found at another secret site (I don't know where it is so don't ask me haha) somewhere in SE QLD. 

Apart from those you can find Permian sharks like Xenocanthus in the Sydney Basin although not exactly on beaches, but they're probably as close as you'll get however.

Heaps of other stuff can be found on the east coast, way too many to list! 

32 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Fossil shark teeth have been dredged up on the Gold Coast and can be found at another secret site (I don't know where it is so don't ask me haha) somewhere in SE QLD. 

Apart from those you can find Permian sharks like Xenocanthus in the Sydney Basin although not exactly on beaches, but they're probably as close as you'll get however.

Heaps of other stuff can be found on the east coast, way too many to list! 

Ooo any places you know of? Shells? Vertebrates?

Unfortunately (but justifiably), many people are reluctant to divulge the location of their most productive fossil-bearing sites on the off chance that some unscrupulous collector will see the location and proceed to pillage the site.  (Not that I'm referring to anybody in particular, of course.)  You might find some interesting information in the subsection for NSW in the Australia/New Zealand section of my pdf library here on TFF.  Here's a LINK.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library