Zapsalis

Hello all, I was browsing on our favorite auction site and I found a dealer who is selling a pair of Ceolophysis teeth for a rather cheap price, which sent off a warning flag in my mind. The dealer claims that these are from the Bull Canyon formation of New Mexico. Are these teeth real or are my suspicions correct?

DAE860C3-795B-4BDB-A795-9EBE691366BD.jpeg

FCC62BCF-EFD8-4DA4-B786-4799F76CA799.jpeg

D3F8B9D2-94B5-4A61-9BF0-1EACB254672C.jpeg

The dealer did not specify the size of the teeth, but did state that the gem jars that house them are about 1.25 inches.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I dont believe they fit the characteristics that describe a Coelophysid tooth.   See the end of the attached topic where I looked at this of this type of tooth.   The teeth are from the BC Fm however Coelophysis is also not described from that fauna.   Small triassic teeth are not very expensive and a nice addition to any collection.

Just now, Troodon said:

I dont believe they fit the characteristics that describe a Coelophysid tooth.   See the end of the attached topic where I looked at this of this type of tooth.   The teeth are from the BC Fm however Coelophysis is also not described from that fauna.   Small triassic teeth are not very expensive and a nice addition to any collection.

Okay! Thanks, Troodon! :D

What species do you think I they are?

34 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Okay! Thanks, Troodon! :D

What species do you think I they are?

No idea very little is published, lean against dinosaurian 

40 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I have been looking at them too. The seller has lots of Micro fossil and matrix . For the price is very little maybe worth a punt?. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I have been looking at them too. The seller has lots of Micro fossil and matrix . For the price is very little maybe worth a punt?. 

What’s also interesting is that the dealer has supposed Coelophysis claws from the Bull Canyon formation. However, @Troodon has informed us that Coelophysis isn’t present in the Bull Canyon formation. Let’s see what he has to say about this supposed claw and what it even is. 

970A4D5D-0E85-4EBA-8C5A-857CD206BEA0.jpeg

55C2C507-F00E-4802-8399-ABA5315F13CD.jpeg

92AD722D-EA5C-42A8-AD4B-5B0886E6F702.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No idea very little is published, lean against dinosaurian 

Okay, thank you Troodon! :D

I believe the claws are not dinosaurian but some reptile/bird?  My opinion.  This is what Coelophysis claws look like see photo. The species Coelophysis bauri is not present in the Bull Canyon but other Coelophysids are present like Gojirasaurus quayi

DbO1OP1XkAANOFM.thumb.jpeg.a350ff7f512bc089933d9a2b291eda7d.jpeg

The prices are great as well as the specimens.  Just dont get hung up on the ID and they are a nice addition to a collection.

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The prices are great as well as the specimens.  Just dont get hung up on the ID and they are a nice addition to a collection.

Cool! The dealer also has a BC pterosaur tooth up for sale. Did pterosaurs exist in that formation?

24 minutes ago, Zapsalis said:

Cool! The dealer also has a BC pterosaur tooth up for sale. Did pterosaurs exist in that formation?

I have  the faunal list in the above topic but not much is described from there.  Does not mean it does not exist just not enough material found to describe it.  Have to believe they were around.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks for the help Frank. I think I am looking at a different vendor but he has got lots of similar  small teeth/fossil for sale. I was just thinking he could probably keep a years stock in a one suitcase . I am going to pick up a couple of pieces when payday comes . I also post before I purchase . He has got a nice mammal teeth collection form Hell Creek but sadly a little out of my price range at the moment. Thanks again 

Archived