Is this a rock or an egg?

MaraFossil

Hello all!

I’m new here and extremely new to fossils! Today, we went fossil hunting in Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex, England. It’s not far from where we live and is known to be one of the best places in the UK for fossils (particularly the teeth of megalodoms).

Anyhow, I found this item and wonder if it’s an egg or a rock.

It is relatively small, just under 3 inches long. It feels substantial in weight, 137g, and has cracks and pours.

Please see the attached photos :)

Location information: The fossiliferous clays and sands exposed in The Naze area belong to the London Clay and Red Crag formations, and provide evidence of prehistoric life and conditions 54 million years ago (mya) and c.2.5 mya respectively. Fossils occur commonly throughout both formations attracting international interest since the 19th century.

1FD86B67-FBDD-442F-BA69-ADFEC68394F9.jpeg

38F33410-1212-4B88-8272-A50526DA761C.jpeg

05A41342-43A2-43E0-B4E0-A487781C52E6.jpeg

It’s more than likely a flint nodule. Definitely not an egg. Walton is great for bivalves, gastropods, and shark teeth, so keep an eye out for those! :)

• I found this Informative 3

:hearty-laugh: oh well, the dinosaur egg was fun whilst it lasted. The kids enjoyed the idea. Thanks for all your help in identifying my rock!

• I found this Informative 1