Visit to Vertebrate Paleontology Collections, J. J. Pickle Research Campus, UT Austin

darrow

Pictures I took during a recent visit to University of Texas, Vertebrate Paleontology Collections, J. J. Pickle Research Campus, Austin.  

First is My youngest next to a surapod dino bone I believe...  More to follow after I resize them. 

FCDED984-E5D6-4059-B85D-A0129000C7F2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

29 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Was all of the collection found in Texas?

The pieces I examined closely were from Texas but I have no idea if the entire collection is.  That's a good question though and I'm curious myself now.  I'll let you know what I find out.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, darrow said:

More stuff in the basement...

IMG_3254.JPG

@darrow

I wondered if you were on The Forum when you came in with your daughters.  :D

We spoke briefly; I was working on the photography for research on a new mosasaur that will be published later this year.  The bones on the table are part of the ones I donated for the project.  

Congratulations on your Texas capybara finds and contributions.  :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you @darrow for a fascinating peek inside this collection! I wish I could have been there.

You also scored a close encounter with the elusive JohnJ; again, would that I were there...;)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@darrow

I wondered if you were on The Forum when you came in with your daughters.  :D

We spoke briefly; I was working on the photography for research on a new mosasaur that will be published later this year.  The bones on the table are part of the ones I donated for the project.  

Congratulations on your Texas capybara finds and contributions.  :fistbump:

JohnJ that was you?!  Yes I recall our speaking and the beautiful mosasaur pieces you were photographing.  My daughters really got a kick out of seeing that stuff up close.  It was a fascinating visit and shear volume of the collection was a bit overwhelming.  I plan to make another trip over there in the fall.  Congrats on the mososaur looking forward to reading when it’s published.  Oh belated “nice to finally meet you in person” though I didn’t know it was you.  

The Capybara should be published later this year.  

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

Thank you @darrow for a fascinating peek inside this collection! I wish I could have been there.

You also scored a close encounter with the elusive JohnJ; again, would that I were there...;)

It’s an amazing collection and visit so I had share.  And a bonus JohnJ encounter!