A question of ant anatomy

Aurelius

I've recently been engaging in my pointless and worthless hobby of photographing inclusions in amber. Baltic amber on this occasion, and my favourite type of inclusions, ants.

However, I have a question about the structures that I see on the ant's heads, and I wonder if anybody could fill me in? I've done some googling with limited results. My question pertains to the ocelli, organs on the heads of ants which in some way assist them with navigation.

First of all, in this picture, you can see a structure between the two antennae, which looks quite similar to a human skin tag. Is this an ocelus? My understanding was that these organs came in threes. Perhaps it is three, very close together, and the image lacks the definition to see it?

3complete_stitch_final_flat.thumb.jpg.89f3a73c53869e2630958915a9796f3f.jpg

Closeup:

3complete_stitch_final_flat-3.thumb.jpg.1213f12447f2584ad0f98d16eb832ecd.jpg

Secondly, there's this specimen: 

On this one, I can see three raised, domed lumps on the back of the head which I guess may be ocelli (highlighted in this closeup), but if they are, then what are the other structures visible? At first glance they could be mistaken for hairs, though I don't think they are - the one on the left of the highlighted area, which has become detached, appears quite distinctive.

final-2.thumb.jpg.4dc22d65260b3094daabe0e00671b5ea.jpg

Closeup:

final-head.thumb.jpg.f8fe59f0f355ddcfd39770c4188c63c3.jpg

As you can probably tell, I am a total beginner when it comes to ant anatomy (antanatomy, to give it its proper scientific name), so any pointers would be most welcome.

• I found this Informative 7

Stunning pictures, the detail is incredible! :wub:

Yes, the highlighted section would be the ocelli, they are generally hemispheres grouped together or slightly separated. 

Not sure about the first photo, doesn't seem in the right place to me and there's only the one. Not certain what this is, is it definitely attached to the head? 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

36 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Stunning pictures, the detail is incredible! :wub:

Yes, the highlighted section would be the ocelli, they are generally hemispheres grouped together or slightly separated. 

Not sure about the first photo, doesn't seem in the right place to me and there's only the one. Not certain what this is, is it definitely attached to the head? 

Yes, it's definitely attached. Here's one frame from the stack which shows it pretty clearly:

PCB_2023.jpg.96b8a5b6f1a7a4a73503e9493adae07c.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Pointless?? Those pictures are incredible! Fossils as well! Something I’d expect to see in a museum. Don’t know about the bumps, perhaps bubbles under the skin? I wouldn’t know. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool and outstanding photos, the lighting is perfect to make the images stunning.  Yep its an ant :D

Just a guess, but the first one looks like a fungal growth and the other looks like bubbles in the amber.

Really spectacular pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Maybe he got it from interaction with the toads in the other thread.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I will get in line on the fabulous photos. Fabulous photos!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

If we ever had a fossil photo contest of the year (hint hint, anyone want to run one) this would be a great entry. 

IMG_0493.JPG

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

If we ever had a fossil photo contest of the year (hint hint, anyone want to run one) this would be a great entry. 

That's very kind of you to say, thank you. I appreciate all of the nice comments about these photos, as they are extremely complicated images to produce, each one taking the best part of a day.

14 hours ago, ynot said:

Just a guess, but the first one looks like a fungal growth and the other looks like bubbles in the amber.

Really spectacular pictures.

Hi Tony,

I was also wondering if it could be a fungal growth too.  I've watched nature shows that discuss how a fungus can take over the head of an ant, killing it in the process.  That's nasty nature.

Jess