? Gastropod ? found in backyard river rock of Indiana ???

leebert37

Hello.  I am have little to no experience in collecting, but have always been fascinated by the beauty and the story of "nature" that exists and existed on our planet.

Yesterday, I found this little beauty in my back yard while weeding our landscaping areas that are lined with river rock.  We live in Indiana and we had this rock delivered about 17 years ago.  

Hoping to get some insight other than what my novice research is turning up.  Thank you in advance for any input.

IMG_0258.HEIC.JPEG

IMG_0252.HEIC.JPEG

IMG_0253.HEIC.JPEG

IMG_0255.HEIC.JPEG

IMG_0256.HEIC.JPEG

IMG_0251.HEIC.JPEG

Welcome to TFF!

This is the internal cast of a snail shell. It is called a steinkern.

Trying to get a better ID is hard because the shell is gone and that is what is used to make an ID.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The dimensions and photos of the side view and reverse might give a little more chance of an id. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

43 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

This is the internal cast of a snail shell. It is called a steinkern.

Trying to get a better ID is hard because the shell is gone and that is what is used to make an ID.

Thank you.  I did post some more photos if that makes any difference.

43 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The dimensions and photos of the side view and reverse might give a little more chance of an id. 

Tidgy's Dad

Thank you for your input.  It measures approximately 1 1/2 inches across and is about 1 inch thick from the base to the tip of the coil.  I posted more photos as well.  

Welcome to the Forum.

Without a good provenance (it was delivered) and without surface ornamentation about all we can say is that it is an internal mold, steinkern, of a coiled gastropod.

As a child, I found lots of treasures in the delivered river rock in Phoenix.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Without a good provenance (it was delivered) and without surface ornamentation about all we can say is that it is an internal mold, steinkern, of a coiled gastropod.

As a child, I found lots of treasures in the delivered river rock in Phoenix.

Thank you.  So getting an approximate time period would be out of the question????

2 minutes ago, leebert37 said:

Thank you.  So getting an approximate time period would be out of the question????

"Old" time. :P

7 minutes ago, leebert37 said:

If you knew where the river gravel came from, we might be able to make a guess.

Coiled gastropods like yours have existed for over 300 million years.

If you find other fossils in the gravel, show them to us. We might be able to give a better ID because of guilt by association.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

If you knew where the river gravel came from, we might be able to make a guess.

Coiled gastropods like yours have existed for over 300 million years.

If you find other fossils in the gravel, show them to us. We might be able to give a better ID because of guilt by association.

All I know is that it is Indiana River rock.  I don't know which "river" or area however.

I found this Indiana Fossil Chart from the Indiana Geological & Water Survey / Indiana University.  I just don't know if I have enough information to date it.

image.thumb.png.ec93dd2c916e0021c312d38a8453cdf8.pngimage.thumb.png.37232f258136886507db7a1ff8f8fbaa.png

Most likely from the Paleozoic (300 mya to 500 mya) since newer rocks are either absent or likely to contain that type of fossil.

Humans and glaciers can always bring in foreign rocks.

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Most likely from the Paleozoic (300 mya to 500 mya) since newer rocks are either absent or likely to contain that type of fossil.

Humans and glaciers can always bring in foreign rocks.

That's what I was guessing from my internet research.  It is difficult for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I found something that old. I know that my find is not that uncommon among scientists, collectors, etc..., but this is very exciting to me! Thank you for your time.

Archived