Paleozoic Senior Brachiopod Passing near Potomac River: Respect Given

Garkersaur

I found these fossils beneath a steel rail bridge in Maryland near the 4 locks of the C & O.  You can find it.

I think they may be Silurian, and are mostly brachiopods, including an adult brachiopod.

Observe the fleshy muscle material in the center.

Observe the 3 parasite wormy animals at the upper left.

I think this was an old Brachiopod near death:  It was infected with wormy parasites.  Its muscle flesh was infected with a fungus that brought in sulfur in to react with the Iron in the water, creating pyrite which is yellow in the fossil.  400mya, the only yellow mineral was pyrite, Iron + Sulfur.  This is how a senior paleozoic brachiopod dies.  Observe.

Out of respect, I am giving this animal the name Jesse, after my Grandfather.  Jesse died of old age and we salute him.

IMG_0493.JPG

Edited by Garkersaur

looks Mississippian

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I would like to say that I am mostly interested in early triassic vertebrates in the so called "Peidmont" of Virginia.  Definitely a challenge.  But there are some Paleozoic deposits in the area and these are interesting of course.  And the Jurassic is nothing loathe...

http://geology.blogs.wm.edu/

19 minutes ago, Garkersaur said:

I found these fossils beneath a steel rail bridge in Maryland near the 4 locks of the C & O.  You can find it.

I think they may be Silurian, and are mostly brachiopods, including an adult brachiopod.

IMG_0493.JPG

Limestone? Near Clear Springs?

1 minute ago, Herb said:

looks Mississippian

I am not arguing but in the visitor center of the Cumberland railroad there is a fossil display that is very similar to mine.  In that display they say the age is 420mya which is in the Silurian.  I admit I dont know.

I’ve been to this site, it’s Mahantango Formation, mid-devonian (givetian). Little shells chonetids, big ones strophomenids. It’s outside the actual park for all those who are scared we are breaking laws.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Garkersaur said:

I am not arguing but in the visitor center of the Cumberland railroad there is a fossil display that is very similar to mine.  In that display they say the age is 420mya which is in the Silurian.  I admit I dont know.

Western Maryland is a layer cake of many many Paleozoic formations, exact location matters a lot.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Garkersaur said:

Either way its in the Paleozoic which I believe is pretty cool.

It is! If you have questions on any IDs from this site, or any other questions about the site, send me a PM. It’s the first site I hunted at and I’ve done a good bit of research on it, as well as a few collecting trips. 

It is shale btw.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I know, as I’ve said I have been there. Definitely Mahantango Formation, Devonian period. You may be well not to reveal the exact exact location in public;)

I did the same thing when I first started.

Could lead to it being overrun by people. 

I said exact location matters because Cumberland has different formations than here.

Happy hunting,

Mason