Tooth with an interesting locality.

Bone guy

So I found this tooth on the favorite auction site. The seller labeled it T-Rex but I have my doubts because it looks flat like a nano tooth. But what really grabbed my attention was the New Mexico locality. Most of the stuff I see from New Mexico is Triassic in age from the Bull Canyon fm. Is this really a rex tooth? If so, how did it end up in New Mexico? :headscratch:

IMG_1178.PNG

IMG_1179.PNG

IMG_1180.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

No idea if this is a rexi or not. 

But i do believe they are found  in New Mexico. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Its not T rex that species is not found in NM.  Do you have a locality or formation where it was found.  Its a Tyrannosaurid since there are campanian and early Maastrichtian deposits in NM.  

T rex is only found in deposits at the very end of the Maastrichtian age 66.8. -66mya

• I found this Informative 5

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its not T rex that species is not found in NM.  Do you have a locality or formation where it was found.  Its a Tyrannosaurid since there are campanian and early Maastrichtian deposits in NM.  

T rex is only found in deposits at the very end of the Maastrichtian age 66.8. -66mya

The only locality info given is a private ranch in Northwestern New Mexico. I can contact the seller if needed. 

Well depending on exactly where its probably the Fruitland or Kirkland Formation.

Map of cretaceous exposures in NM

So if its Kirkland.. cf Daspletosaurus,  Bistahieversor so its best described  as Tyrannosaurid indeterminate 

If Fruitland...Tyrannosaurid indet.

Screenshot_20180819-180051.thumb.jpg.8841c79446e8ebc42dc324314d86822b.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Well depending on exactly where its probably the Fruitland or Kirkland Formation.

So if its Fruitland.. cf Daspletosaurus or cf Gorgosaurus 

If Kirkland ... cf Albertosaurus 

Interesting, I don't dabble in dinosaur material too often so I've never heard of Cretaceous deposits in NM. I learn something new everyday :D 

Just now, Bone guy said:

Interesting, I don't dabble in dinosaur material too often so I've never heard of Cretaceous deposits in NM. I learn something new everyday :D 

I edited the species...and why you became a member of this forum 

If you want it try to find out exactly were they found it so we can pinpoint the formation since it could be Menefee.  

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

if its Kirkland.. cf Daspletosaurus or cf Gorgosaurus 

As you know, I’ve got no clue about dinosaur teeth, but isn’t Bistahieversor from the same FM?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

If you want it try to find out exactly were they found it so we can pinpoint the formation since it could be Menefee.  

My budget is tight right now, I only posted this here because I was curious. 

Found the listing, said northwest NM

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

24 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

As you know, I’ve got no clue about dinosaur teeth, but isn’t Bistahieversor from the same FM?

Yes forgot about that dued thanks

Did some research and I stand corrected the McRae Fm, which I never heard of,  #7 in the above chart is very late maastrichtian and Trex is reported from that locality.  Not associated with this tooth.  Very interesting always learning 

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

So if its Kirkland.. cf Daspletosaurus,  Bistahieversor so its best described  as Tyrannosaurid indeterminate 

If Fruitland...Tyrannosaurid indet.

Hi Frank, I believe the fossils of Daspletosaurus cf. were once found here.  However they are now placed into Bistahieversor.  So the only DESCRIBED tyrannosaur is Bistahieversor :D Could always have the possibility of another to be found.

10 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Hi Frank, I believe the fossils of Daspletosaurus cf. were once found here.  However they are now placed into Bistahieversor.  So the only DESCRIBED tyrannosaur is Bistahieversor :D Could always have the possibility of another to be found.

You are correct, learning about late Tyrannosaurids in NM.  The NMMNH bulletin Ive been using is obviously out of date.  From some other sources they still are attributing an indeterminate tyranno to that fauna but material you know how rare that material is.  Thanks 

There was a time in the 90's when some dinosaur teeth from New Mexico came on the market.  The specimen I remember most was a light blue tyrannosaur tooth 2-3 inches long and in great shape.  At the time it was thought to be a Daspletosaurus or perhaps Albertosaurus.  The formation was not known with certainty but believed to be the Fruitland or Kirkland.  I don't recall the locality.

Some Paleocene and Eocene crocodile and mammal teeth also appeared for sale for a short time.  People with land out there have tended to be very private and didn't allow fossil collecting on their property but some collectors did get to go and found some interesting stuff.  It seems few if any were able to get permission since then because you don't see much from the state other than the Triassic stuff and some Permian plants.