Plio/Pleistocene Pelvic Bone. Glades County, FL Okeechobee Formation (Informal)

alej9582

Guys, posted this on ID and got no responses.

Found while sifting for Shark Teeth. Joint socket does not match Cow (Bovina in general has a sucket of 60mm) it is too small. Length 9”  Locality is listed as Plio/Pleistocene. Found under 12" of water + 8" of sand in Glades County, FL. Okeechobee Formation (informal).

I need help with ID and Preservation. Please advise.

Alex

IMG-3360.JPG

IMG-3373.JPG

38 minutes ago, alej9582 said:

Any other ideas? No one seems to answer.

Have some patience, not everyone is on site on a daily basis.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Horses are not born full-size...;)

Think "foal".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

@Auspex UF believes Odocoileus virginianus (Whitetail Deer) of the late pleistocene is a more suitable match. Already ordered butbar and will work on it to desipher what it is.

2 hours ago, alej9582 said:

@Auspex UF believes Odocoileus virginianus (Whitetail Deer) of the late pleistocene is a more suitable match. Already ordered butbar and will work on it to desipher what it is.

Not to be rude, but Auspex has lots of experience in the paleontological community, rather than simply stating your opinion, I think it would be much more informative to tell us what makes you think that this specimen is a different ID than previously suggested.

rydysig.JPG

40 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

Not to be rude, but Auspex has lots of experience in the paleontological community, rather than simply stating your opinion, I think it would be much more informative to tell us what makes you think that this specimen is a different ID than previously suggested.

Dear @RyanDye Dont find your comment above rude in any way, and appreciate the guidance. As per my comments above the conclusion was drawn by others BUT I wont stop comparing it with all I can get my hands on untill we find out what it is. I hope is equus sp. It was and still is my opinion. I will continue researching, what UF wrote to me I only took as a suggestion and I respect such suggestion same as I respect Auspex’s. For this particular reason I am continuing and not setling with UF’s conclusion.

Kind regards

Alex

10 hours ago, alej9582 said:

Dear @RyanDye Dont find your comment above rude in any way, and appreciate the guidance. As per my comments above the conclusion was drawn by others BUT I wont stop comparing it with all I can get my hands on untill we find out what it is. I hope is equus sp. It was and still is my opinion. I will continue researching, what UF wrote to me I only took as a suggestion and I respect such suggestion same as I respect Auspex’s. For this particular reason I am continuing and not setling with UF’s conclusion.

Kind regards

Alex

I hate to break it to you, but it's likely your incorrect. You see the purpose of IDing on the forum isn't to look up pictures for comparing, anyone can do that. IDing a specimen is when you have accumulated paleontological knowledge and experience over the years to where you recognize certain species or groups just by sight. What your doing is not really an ID, therefore I think it would be in your best interest to either settle for Whitetail deer, (also in my opinion what I think it is since white tail deers are so common in Florida) or possibly a foal. Bottom line is your specimen is very incomplete, so keep in mind you can never 100% ID this sort of stuff until someone with extensive knowledge and experience gets to take a look at it. Welcome to TFF, I hope you understand my reasoning and we can all have a great time on the forum.

rydysig.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

@Auspex A horse vet friend of the family in Ocala sugdested merychippus... He mentioned that one of his thesis was based on proto Equus and came along many pelvic bones from this species. He saw it and gave me that answer in 2 minutes. Thoughts?