Trilobite Identification and Opinion on prep

minnbuckeye

I visited SW Wisconsin last week and found a prone partial trilobite. This formation always gives me my best trilobites but they are always upside down. I guess beggar can't be choosy! Could anyone ID this bug?? And I am open to suggestions whether this is good enough to have prepped out by a "Professional". 

DSC_0534.thumb.JPG.b9bf2bf0a3c0a4f6d2395641638f5e2d.JPGDSC_0533.thumb.JPG.80faf890f0def8c7b1134cd4c1dc24f2.JPGDSC_0532.thumb.JPG.9f5342cc25ef1838bd3e1b3dd9463dbd.JPG

Looks like a ventral cheirurid like Ceraurus sp. It’s missing a lot of its right side. Ventrals are a real pain!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Maybe you could plaster the ventral side and prep it dorsaly. 

That is neat idea. If I could add to that, I always wondered what would happen if you prep the ventral side and then add clear resin, and then prep dorsally, removing all matrix, and then add clear resin to that side as well. The result might be a free-floating trilobite display piece in a clear block. 

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

That is neat idea. If I could add to that, I always wondered what would happen if you prep the ventral side and then add clear resin, and then prep dorsally, removing all matrix, and then add clear resin to that side as well. The result might be a free-floating trilobite display piece in a clear block. 

Here are brachiopods I did for a nature center that way:DSC_0433.thumb.JPG.de00fd34a9667d6cc110ac6ef68a052b.JPGDSC_0434.thumb.JPG.313bc13a41fbb906e9410eedf3a6c1e3.JPG      I am willing to let anyone try. just pm me with a cost if interested in this idea.  By the way, the clear resin is "artificial water" from a taxidermy supply company.

6 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Here are brachiopods I did for a nature center that way:      I am willing to let anyone try. just pm me with a cost if interested in this idea.  By the way, the clear resin is "artificial water" from a taxidermy supply company.

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for showing us, and demonstrating that it certainly can be done!

1 hour ago, Kane said:

If we start using this method we would have to use it on fish aswell :rofl: 

2 hours ago, Bone guy said:

If we start using this method we would have to use it on fish aswell :rofl: 

This technique was used to prep many of the Lebanon Cretaceous fish for publication.  Here is a protocol for the method from the American Museum of Natural History.  Basically you can use a weak organic acid to "prep" one side of the specimen, then embed that side in a clear acrylic and then acid prep the other side.  The result is a specimen that can be viewed from both sides.

Don

Here is an example of a fish prepared this way.  Note, the cracks were present in the original matrix.  The figure, and details about the method and some possible challenges, are found in: Graham & Allington-Jones 2015. Challenges encountered during acid resin transfer preparation of fossil fish from Monte Bolca, Italy.  Paleontologia Eclectronica 18.2.4T: 1-9.

Don

acid transfer fish.jpg

I have never seen trilobites prepped to show both the dorsal and the ventral side, but it's a great idea and I think it could be done.  In fact I have a candidate or two in my collection that I am seriously considering having done this way.

Don

Archived