Zapsalis

I was browsing agatized dinosaur bone fragments on a dealer’s website and they made an interesting claim that based on a the cells and cell structure on a dinosaur bone, you can sometimes narrow down a list of species it could have came from. Could this work out if you have enough bone? Could it work for both agatized and non-agatized dinosaur bones? Personally, I’d think that you have to have enough bone there to narrow it down, not fragments or chunks.

I’d like to have a discussion over this, so don’t be afraid to put your two cents in! :ighappy: 

Just for fun, I’ll post a couple of my own agatized dinosaur bones. This is not an ID thread.

9A9C2072-4956-4C89-BE7C-5092DE87958F.jpeg

8FDD200F-DF42-4AF6-8A03-B2FA14C553BD.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Some dinosaurs have specialized bones. You could tell if you had an osteoderm from  the pits and veins. I believe spinosaur neural spines also possess the vein-y quality. Other than that I have no clue. Outside of dinosaurs, whales have a distinctive bone if you see the bone a lot and I’ve heard the same is true for mammoths. In acanthodians, they fin spines are very veiny, so if you didn’t have the outside “skin” you could still tell what you had. This seems like a good time to tag @Troodon

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have a hard enough time putting species names to complete bones :D.  I would like to see the the reference sources that that claim came from, always like to learn new stuff.   

33 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I have a hard enough time putting species names to complete bones :D.  I would like to see the the reference sources that that claim came from, always like to learn new stuff.   

Should I name the website? I don’t see any references, which is part of the reason why I am asking here. 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

If there are no references not necessary

Yeah. It seems that their claims are unfounded. I would’ve like to put this to the test, though. 

Based on bone type it's quite unlikely to be able to narrow it down to a species list to say the least. But depending on bone type one might be able to narrow it down to type of animal sometimes. For example, dinosaurs and crocs generally have different density of bones for the most part.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 10 months later...
12 minutes ago, Deinocheirusmaster! said:

Whats the dealers website called?

To avoid issues, we do not name sellers here nor provide links to their websites.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer