Dinosaur Footprint

LiamL

I finally found the dinosaur footprint at Saltwick bay, Yorkshire. I took a picture yesterday because i think you guys will enjoy it also :)

Hammer for scale. It looked alot better in 2010.  I wonder how many more years it will be identifiable as a footprint before it is completly eroded away :shrug:

It's most likely from a Stegosaurus. 

FootPrint.jpg.1073b35fd784fd14ae75a84e0c5b37d8.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I love seeing dinosaur footprints next time I am up to Yorkshire I have to see if I can find it. Cheers my freind nice photo. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for sharing.

We now all get to see it before it is gone. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

41 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

They don't preserve footprints? Why doesn't someone cover it with something, or extract it?

In the uk your not aloud to hammer the bedrock or cliff faces. Only losses stone can be split so you have to wait for a rockfall. But shockingly sad, poeple do chip out the dinosaur tracks to sale them. 

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

In the uk your not aloud to hammer the bedrock or cliff faces. Only losses stone can be split so you have to wait for a rockfall. But shockingly sad, poeple do chip out the dinosaur tracks to sale them. 

I’m suprised someones not damaged this one over the years.

This is what it looked like in 2006. (Thanks google)

i believe there are other tracks on the rock from a different dinosaur.

8EFB3056-55D2-4E68-BBC3-F757B84EFDD0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Not even an established institution or university can?  

rydysig.JPG

11 minutes ago, RyanDye said:

Yes they have to apply for permissions.

8 hours ago, RyanDye said:

Someone told me that everything from the top of the cliff to the bottom of the cliff belongs to the land owner above, which is farmers fields. Until it falls out.

And that stone looks to be lying loose on the ground. ie: fell out 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, RyanDye said:

They don't preserve footprints? Why doesn't someone cover it with something, or extract it?

Where I collect in the UK (Sussex) dinosaur locomotion trace fossils such as footprints are both preserved as trackways (footprints in-situ) and loose (ex-situ) footcasts. The loose ones many of us local fossil hunters have been taking them home over the years. No point in leaving them there I suppose to erode away to nothing. They are quite abundant here. However, collectors know it is difficult to find good examples of loose footcasts. Most are worn to some degree, some are almost unrecognisable as footcasts. No one touches the trackways as, and rightly so, this is considered a big no...no. When we discover what we think is a newly exposed trackway, we take notes and pics to record it. I believe I am the first person to discover and recognise and record dinosaur trace fossil tail drag imprints in Sussex many years ago.

Young Elliot and I were lucky enough to also see  that famous dinosaur footcast in 2013.

2018-09-02_12-31-58.thumb.jpg.049b369eba477b3bed10726673cb671b.jpg

We were also lucky enough to find a newly discovered cast in the same year. Pictured below. 

2018-09-02_12-33-12.thumb.jpg.5b5b7c961ef07f1c25daf09ed34430dd.jpg

Paleontologist Dean Lomax featured it in his Dinosaurs Of The British Isles Book :)

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

10 hours ago, DE&i said:

Young Elliot and I were lucky enough to also  that famous dinosaur footcast in 2013.

2018-09-02_12-31-58.thumb.jpg.049b369eba477b3bed10726673cb671b.jpg

We were also lucky enough to find a newly discovered cast in the same year. Pictured below. 

2018-09-02_12-33-12.thumb.jpg.5b5b7c961ef07f1c25daf09ed34430dd.jpg

Paleontologist Dean Lomax featured it in his Dinosaurs Of The British Isles Book :)

Wondeful pictures, is the 2nd one near the one i photographed?

@LiamL it was about 100 metres away. The story goes that local Paleontologists say that the footcast had never been recorded before. And may have just recently been turned over by the tidal actions since it first fell from the cliffs. There was a very brief discussion of a plan to remove it from the beach to go to one of the local museums. But the logistics and costs of lifting the cast went against the decision.

Not sure if it's still there, maby the tides have flipped it over again. As I've never heard it has been seen again since I first discovered it. 

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

2 hours ago, DE&i said:

@LiamL it was about 100 metres away. The story goes that local Paleontologists say that the footcast had never been recorded before. And may have just recently been turned over by the tidal actions since it first fell from the cliffs. There was a very brief discussion of a plan to remove it from the beach to go to one of the local museums. But the logistics and costs of lifting the cast went against the decision.

Not sure if it's still there, maby the tides have flipped it over again. As I've never heard it has been seen again since I first discovered it. 

100 metres to the left or right as you come down the steps? i’ll keep my eye out.

1 hour ago, DE&i said:

I haven't been since I'm afraid and unfortunately I can't remember. I found another not so easily recognised footcast that day. 

2018-09-02_06-30-16.jpg

Not sure if i’d recognise that one at all! Is it very worn down?