Green Mill Run NC Land mammal tooth?

silverbar

I made a trip over to Green Mill Run in NC this past weekend to look for fossils in the creek.  My son and I had a wonderful time and found some great sharks teeth and other stuff.  I'm stuck though on trying to identify this tooth.  It does not look like any of the other teeth that I have found in the creek.  Could it be a land mammal tooth? Thanks in advance for any ideas that you may have.

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

pic4.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

These pictures are really out of focus... would you mind taking them again?

Also, try to take the pictures on something else than a white background, it makes the fossil stand out more. 

Make sure also that you have a good light source (preferably sunlight if it's nice weather where you are),. A desk lamp will also do. 

From these pictures, I think that I see that the tooth is very worn, so ID might be difficult. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

15 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Looks like a broken and very worn shark tooth.

I second that.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The thick part at the base of the tooth gives away that it's a shark, I can see why you thought it was a mammal though, they're usually not so worn. 

• I found this Informative 1

rydysig.JPG

That big lump on the root reminds me of a Hemipristis lower, (Heavily worn of course!).

20180820_190814.png

20180820_190838.png

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you all for the responses and info! This one had me stumped.  Is there a way to mark "solved" on these threads? 

9 minutes ago, silverbar said:

Is there a way to mark "solved" on these threads? 

One reason we did not opt for a "solved" mechanism for fossil ID threads is on account that science is never settled. There is always something new to learn and discover, and old assumptions are frequently tested and replaced by newer ones. Never discount the possibility as well that someone else may revisit this thread and disagree with the identification and supply an alternative, or a more precise identification down to the species level. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer