Let's think outside the box

Baddadcp

Been looking at this and trying to decide how to approach it. Have at it. I can do close ups on the flats, but not the radius of the, dare I say, shell.

double 1.jpg

double 2.jpg

double 3.jpg

double 4.jpg

double 5.jpg

double reverse.jpg

I'll go with non-fossil geologic on this one. Interesting banding. Maybe @ynot could say something for what type of mineralization and deposition aspects account for the variation in colouring. The black crusty stuff might hold some fossil promise (possible carbonization from plant material?). Perhaps show us a close-up of that feature.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The carbonization on the edge of the semi-circle puts me in mind of something plant-ish. 

Not sure what else can be said here. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

What about Liesegang rings ? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Concretion around some wood that has since worn away methinks, unless the the Carbonized loom is some sort of crystal, can’t tell from the picture.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Limonite nodule

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The black material looks to be something, but I have no idea as to what?  either way, for me, its not much.

RB

@Baddadcp, where is this from?  It looks like a sandstone concretion formed around some carbonized wood.  But the only places I know that have those color sandstone are out west...and maybe midwest.  

This pic is from google images showing a sandstone concretion from Oregon.

Image result for concretion formed around wood

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

4 hours ago, Walt said:

@Baddadcp, where is this from?  It looks like a sandstone concretion formed around some carbonized wood.  But the only places I know that have those color sandstone are out west...and maybe midwest.  

4 hours ago, Walt said:

Lower Cretaceous, Arundel or Patuxent formation. Here are some close ups of the black material.

Image24.jpg

Image26.jpg

Image28.jpg

Image29.jpg

we have them in KY

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 8/20/2018 at 4:49 PM, Kane said:

Maybe @ynot could say something

On 8/21/2018 at 1:50 PM, Walt said:

wait on @ynot

It is a mineral stained rock.

Without some test not much more can be said.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, Walt said:

What nice Liesegang rings ...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived