Fossil/Petrified Wood from Caucasus Region

FrozenFlame

So I have a piece of fossilised/petrified wood from the North Caucasus region of Russia, but I'm trying to identify what species it genus it is from. I've done a bit of looking, but I can't seem to find many references to any floral species that this could come from. 

My reading so far leads me to suspect that it's Pinus / Pine wood that has been fossilised given the region, but does anyone have any more sources on potential tree types that it could be? 

Don't suppose you could provide us with some pictures. It really helps with Identification.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

In order to identify wood You have to look at the cellular structures. You need to see how the various features aligned with each other.

This usually takes some magnification.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hmmm, don't readily have any microscopes on hand, I guess this will sit in my collection until I find a microscope, I need to get one anyway to actually see all my amber inclusions anyway! 

36 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

Hmmm, don't readily have any microscopes on hand, I guess this will sit in my collection until I find a microscope, I need to get one anyway to actually see all my amber inclusions anyway! 

A good 10 or 20 power "loop" will do.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

What mineral is the slab made of? Scratch it with a steel knife blade to determine hardness. Does it scratch?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.