Pareidolia Evidence in 2.5-3 mya Human Ancestors

DPS Ammonite

Don't blame the internet for pareidolia; it is in your genes. A head shaped rock that had been transported many kilometers 2.5 million years ago was found in Africa found with human ancestor remains and tools. See this interesting article: https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/first-sculpture-makapansgat-pebble-1269056

I wonder how many pounds of meat this was traded for. 

Makapansgat-pebble-Makapansgat-South-Africa_University-of-Witwatersrand_copyright-Brett-Eloff_1.jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Interesting, though perhaps unsurprising. Facial recognition is very important socially and the positive association with those of your own species could have been what sparked these creatures interest. I’ve got no references or basis for that, but it is my opinion. This was found associated with bones of Australopithecus africanus which is probably not a direct human ancestor, but still closely related to us. But that means an A. africanus found this, this means faces didn’t look like what you see in a mirror, they looked like this:

918D403C-B34B-4C14-BDB5-746EAF927922.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Interesting, though perhaps unsurprising. Facial recognition is very important socially and the positive association with those of your own species could have been what sparked these creatures interest. I’ve got no references or basis for that, but it is my opinion. This was found associated with bones of Australopithecus africanus which is probably not a direct human ancestor, but still closely related to us. But that means an A. africanus found this, this means faces didn’t look like what you see in a mirror, they looked like this:

918D403C-B34B-4C14-BDB5-746EAF927922.jpeg

Why do these reconstructions never have eyebrows or moustaches?  :headscratch:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Foozil said:

Fixed B)

5b7bbf321ee8f_ScreenShot2018-08-21at5_27_56pm.thumb.png.b93b551cf9329f003fb2e202fba3f7bf.png

That's much more realistic! 

Happy now.

Thanks. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What? No piercings or tattoo's? Still doesn't look completely realistic.. :headscratch:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 minute ago, daves64 said:

What? No piercings or tattoo's? Still doesn't look completely realistic.. :headscratch:

I suppose that you will next want him to have braces.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Naahhh.. but some whitening strips wouldn't hurt. :rofl:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

But that means an A. africanus found this, this means faces didn’t look like what you see in a mirror

Speak for yourself!  :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

I never said this! :ank:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Why do these reconstructions never have eyebrows or moustaches?  :headscratch:

Here’s our two closest living relatives, the chimp and the gorilla. As you see they do not have (prominent) moustaches or eyebrows. So, either they both independently evolved to loose them from their common ancestor with us, or (more likely) facial hair evolved with the human lineage. When is this far hard to tell. But, I would guess if it we’re a solely human feature, than it may be related to socialization or maybe telling your tribe/group from another. Either way, these adaptations reach an advanced form later, and if it were my guess, Homo erectus. Again, not references. My thoughts.

F1BDAF92-6CAB-4E64-AB85-E211BA76769D.jpeg

4D35A07C-FE45-42B4-9147-58E230CBC393.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I’m sorry for discriminating against other genera, australopithecine are people too!:)

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m sorry for discriminating against other genera, australopithecine are people too!:)

#ME AUSTRALOPITHECINE TOO :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Here’s our two closest living relatives, the chimp and the gorilla. As you see they do not have (prominent) moustaches or eyebrows. So, either they both independently evolved to loose them from their common ancestor with us, or (more likely) facial hair evolved with the human lineage. When is this far hard to tell. But, I would guess if it we’re a solely human feature, than it may be related to socialization or maybe telling your tribe/group from another. Either way, these adaptations reach an advanced form later, and if it were my guess, Homo erectus. Again, not references. My thoughts.

Our ancestors and chimps and gorillas all have prominent brow ridges. These stop sweat running into the eyes. 

We don't have the brow ridges so eyebrows have evolved to divert the sweat away. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

10 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Our ancestors and chimps and gorillas all have prominent brow ridges. These stop sweat running into the eyes. 

We don't have the brow ridges so eyebrows have evolved to divert the sweat away. 

Then one would wonder why Homo neanderthalensis is often depicted in modern reconstructions with eyebrows, as they too have large brow ridges. In fact, we are the only species that doesn’t known, though H. Floresiensis has very reduced brow ridges. Heck, my old Vice Principal looked like he had brow ridges!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Really interesting everybody!  I worked with chimps a long time ago, and never noticed the lack of eyebrows...

Archived