Question for experts in fake/real Egg recognition

TooFossils

Dear all,

I'm a small collector from Geneva, I already have several fossils and I would like to acquire a Dino egg. I finally found one but I wanted to be sure that's a real one... Honestly, I'm not confident with all the fakes we find on the market...

I have seen that your are experts in this domain and it would be very kind if you can help me to decide :)

Thanks to all :)

Cheers

Francke376.thumb.jpg.abbed2b5ab16afbcfe19a28519e0595b.jpge376cu.thumb.jpg.e379c902173f24b4f6047d95ad808b3e.jpg

From the photos alone, it has the appearance of authenticity. It could certainly be enhanced with some prep, removing the thin, white mineral layer covering much of the shell. It would of course be best if you could examine it in hand. Is it local or does the seller offer a return option? If you are able to examine the piece in person, pay close attention to the junctures of the shell fragments. Do they fit or do they have the cobbled together appearance of glued on material? The matrix "base" is typical of the presentation I have seen. I am encouraged by the apparent shell fragments seen there, as would be expected. Good luck, if you do acquire the fossil, consult the Forum for prep advice. A search will turn up several discussions.

@HamptonsDoc

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hello Franck! Welcome to TFF! And receive hugs here, from Argentina! :D

Through this photo, where the organization and set of shells are most visible, I see that it definitely is a real and genuine spherolithic dinosaur egg.

image.png.13fa139121fe0584f8b8dcc2c23252ad.png

But I see that the egg has undergone a series of repairs and fills that are not natural, but were made by human hands. In other words, the egg has undergone many restorations.

image.png.eee1ae2047e9fb0cc5b541daf61e967b.png

I also see serious cracks crossing other points of this egg, and this, in the not too distant future, could be a serious problem...

image.png.ab2d25eaf7187cd99125559690e169b0.png

It is an unprepared egg filled with hollow pockets and will require experience and care for preparation, that is, removing the layer of calcite, revealing only the shells. If you do not know how to prepare, do not know a preparer, but do not want to have problems, I seriously recommend at least conservation with Paraloid for stabilization.

And if you do not want to bother, then I recommend much caution in buying this egg. There are much better examples for sale.

Cheers! :D

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

25 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Through this photo, where the organization and set of shells are most visible, I see that it definitely is a real and genuine spherolithic dinosaur egg.

But I see that the egg has undergone a series of repairs and fills that are not natural, but were made by human hands. In other words, the egg has undergone many restorations.

I also see serious cracks crossing other points of this egg, and this, in the not too distant future, could be a serious problem...

It is an unprepared egg filled with hollow pockets and will require experience and care for preparation, that is, removing the layer of calcite, revealing only the shells. If you do not know how to prepare, do not know a preparer, but do not want to have problems, I seriously recommend at least conservation with Paraloid for stabilization.

And if you do not want to bother, then I recommend much caution in buying this egg. There are much better examples for sale.

Its amazing what you can see with a trained eye. I would of never been able to spot those restorations, but that's just because of my ignorance in the Dino egg field. :P

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

Its amazing what you can see with a trained eye. I would of never been able to spot those restorations, but that's just because of my ignorance in the Dino egg field. :P

Thank you, my dear friend. But I'm just a sorcerer's apprentice. Here at TFF there are much better eyes than mine. Every day I learn a little more... :D

03.PNG

wow very impressive, I got a full analysis from you all, and it's better than I expected ;)

Thanks again for your feedback,

I think I'll buy it and talk to a friend who works for the national museum of geneva, he should knows somebody to prepare it :)

I'll keep you informed with news as soon as I can ;)

Thanks again !!

The egg looks pretty nice to me and would be a great addition to anyone's collection.  Not completely convinced of the repairs outlined above but even if there are some repairs it was done well and would not stop me from purchasing it.  I think you could buy this egg with confidence. 

Welcome to the forum!

It's a real egg, it's and pretty okay repairs notwithstanding.

The seller is reliable too.

Take note this is a hatched hadrosaur egg, most likely Dendroolithus sp.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Definitely has some tampering with it. Either repaired or a composite. I'd lean towards composite as some areas of real eggshell has been hidden by the "repairs".

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 8/21/2018 at 10:51 AM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

What a sharp eye, well said! 

rydysig.JPG

On 21/08/2018 at 12:31 PM, Walt said:

Wonderful assessment, @Seguidora-de-Isis

Very informative! :D

1 hour ago, RyanDye said:

What a sharp eye, well said! 

Thank you very much my dear friends Walt and RyanDye. I'm glad to be able to help. :wub:

03.PNG

Archived