So a while back, like a year and half or two years, I found one of our more prized fossils in a creek. I had no clue what it was - I mean I knew it was a mammal, but it certainly wasn't a dolphin or anything like that. Later at a PPS meeting, Bobby and Sarah ID'd it as a true seal, p1 premolar.  I later decided to showcase it by doing a painting and mounting it along with a drawing of the dentition to show where it goes. Such a great tooth and I've not found any more since.

*note: the painting is of a modern day gray seal - it was the closest in dentition that I could find

seal tooth and hemis and heartbreakers.png

seal tooth.png

seal tooth and painting.jpg

Edited by reddesilets
note about type of seal in painting
  • I found this Informative 4

Cool tooth and painting. 

Very nice, love the painting. :wub:

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice, love the painting. :wub:

Thanks ^_^  iirc that was the first time I've painted in years

Very nice , I have a nice pre-historic seal tooth too but I have not got myself a lovely seal watercolour to display next to it. :)

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Very nice , I have a nice pre-historic seal tooth too but I have not got myself a lovely seal watercolour to display next to it. :)

You should paint one! :D

3 minutes ago, reddesilets said:

You should paint one! :D

I could do that.:D maybe you have stated a trend:D 

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

I could do that.:D maybe you stated a trend:D 

Go for it! :D LOL 

I have a nonfossil (modern) raccoon skull and did a drawing of a raccoon for it, but I have yet to be able to get a shadowbox to piece it all together

raccoon drawing and skull.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
18 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Beautiful artwork! And the seal tooth is very cool.

Thank you! :)  If I ever find any more seal teeth I can add them to that painting very easily.

5 hours ago, reddesilets said:

I have a nonfossil (modern) raccoon skull and did a drawing of a raccoon for it, but I have yet to be able to get a shadowbox to piece it all together

They will look great together all framed up and you could get yourself  a fossilised Raccoon tooth to add to the visuals. :D

15 hours ago, reddesilets said:

I like your drawing but I don’t think that is a raccoon skull. Maybe house cat?

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I like your drawing but I don’t think that is a raccoon skull. Maybe house cat?

No, it's a raccoon skull for sure. I pulled it out of the marsh from a still rotting corpse. :blink:

11 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

They will look great together all framed up and you could get yourself  a fossilised Raccoon tooth to add to the visuals. :D

That would be nice! If I find a fossilized raccoon anything though I'll see if Bobby could use it in the museum first. ;) 

3 hours ago, reddesilets said:

No, it's a raccoon skull for sure. I pulled it out of the marsh from a still rotting corpse. :blink:

The photo of the skull must be at an odd angle making the face look very short. Here's a picture of what I would expect from a raccoon skull. How many teeth does your skull have? A raccoon should have 40 teeth. House cats have 26 to 30 depending on age of the cat.

raccoon.JPG

I'm going to kick myself if it's a cat. :hearty-laugh:  I can't see drawing a cat and putting it on display. Somehow that is creepier to me. :P 

3 hours ago, reddesilets said:

Looked through all of the photos and nothing can really point to raccoon or cat. Wonder why we all said raccoon? *shrugs*