Need help, office mates cant agree on what I found

Ilikeagates

Hello all.  While working in Southwestern Kansas (Kiowa or Comanche County) I stumbled upon this little guy that has caused some confusion in my office.  I have a few coworkers who are old geology majors and other coworkers (including myself) who are just plain old rock hounds, but we all cant seem to come to an agreement on this find.  The rock hounds and I think its a weird piece of petrified wood, with some cool quartz features on the back side.  The geo majors are intrigued over the "botryoidal quartz" formation on the back side, along with a very small cluster on the front, and are having a tough time wrapping their heads around that type of formation being on a chunk of petrified wood.  One thinks he sees flow marks, but concedes that those marks could also be xylem and phloem...   Any ideas out there on what this is?  If I need better pictures let me know.   

MVIMG_20180821_090414222.jpg

MVIMG_20180821_083350222.jpg

MVIMG_20180821_0903261.jpg

looks like a cool rock to me

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Show us some other angles such as the ends. It has nice patches of chalcedony.

If not wood, it might be a piece of rhyolite or jasper.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Need better/close up pictures for wood determination.  

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Looks like jasper to me.  No wood grain that I can see.

Pretty rock though. :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Neat specimen. I think rock as well but my geology background and my curiousity wants to polish the ends/take a thin section and put it under a scope with polarized light to see what the streaks/banding/internal structure actually shows us. I know some wont want to damage it nor spend the time and I understand why you wouldnt want to go to that extreme. I've destroyed many a fine rock that should have stayed intact but I just had to look . Cool piece! 

Regards, Chris