Knightia Prep

Ptychodus04

I’m now prepping what appears to be a Knightia that I received from @RJB. Apparently, this fish came from the diamond layer of the GRF. Here’s what it look ones like to start:

3E5C1B36-7F67-4D46-B767-B62057AE9A5B.thumb.jpeg.f727dbc71bf269f4b4b1f9da4a7295c4.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like after 3 hours: 

E026AE74-D470-40A6-B5F8-591A419479B5.thumb.jpeg.668dc1619e577b3209ff2051d77a7c1e.jpeg

This one is going to stay in my collection simply because it has already cost me more time than it is worth to prep!

• I found this Informative 3

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but can you define what the "diamond layer" is?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks for the photos, Kris. It's interesting, informative and helpful to see how you approach the prep, It looks like you try to uncover the extremities before attacking the rest of the fish. Is that right? I'm also curious about the "diamond" layer. Is that the hardest layer?

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Looking nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but can you define what the "diamond layer" is?

No lack of knowledge... see below. :D

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for the photos, Kris. It's interesting, informative and helpful to see how you approach the prep, It looks like you try to uncover the extremities before attacking the rest of the fish. Is that right? I'm also curious about the "diamond" layer. Is that the hardest layer?

Each prep is different but I do try to define the perimeter of the specimen. This is a bleed over from how I learned to excavate. In an excavation, I want to determine the extent of the specimen, then start to trench and jacket. Uncovering individual bones is saved for the lab. I address most of my prepping in a similar manner.

I believe this came from a layer @RJB called the bottom cap. It is extremely hard. My diamond layer designation was really tongue in cheek bc this rock is so very hard as compared to the 18” layer and especially compared the the split fish layer.

• I found this Informative 1

Extreme hardness from compression density I gather.

I don't envy your project, but I applaud your abilities. :dinothumb:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Extreme hardness from compression density I gather.

I don't envy your project, but I applaud your abilities. :dinothumb:

It is actually a rather fun prep, albeit very slow. The preservation of this little fish is rather good. 

Hey Kris, with these hard rock fish I almost always use a mixture of bicarb and dolomite.  Much faster, but only if the fish bones can handle it.  Good luck.  and yeah, that looks like some good bone in that fish.

RB

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This one is going to stay in my collection simply because it has already cost me more time than it is worth to prep!

I would imagine that a superbly prepped Knightia from the "diamond layer" is extremely rare, as few people would ever put in the time needed for such a common species. Too bad that most collectors will never see it that way.

:popcorn:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

1 hour ago, Paciphacops said:

I would imagine that a superbly prepped Knightia from the "diamond layer" is extremely rare, as few people would ever put in the time needed for such a common species. Too bad that most collectors will never see it that way.

:popcorn:

This layer is not typically commercially worked exactly for this reason. The cost of preparation for these fish far exceed their commercial value. But, if you have no intention of selling they are worth the effort due to the level of preservation. I'll probably have $250-300 in time on this fish once I finish it. Good thing I don't have to pay me to prep!

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This layer is not typically commercially worked exactly for this reason. The cost of preparation for these fish far exceed their commercial value. But, if you have no intention of selling they are worth the effort due to the level of preservation. I'll probably have $250-300 in time on this fish once I finish it. Good thing I don't have to pay me to prep!

Only $250-300?  You must be really fast.  Or you work for pennies an hour.  By the way, what tool are you using to do the prep?

19 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Only $250-300?  You must be really fast.  Or you work for pennies an hour.  By the way, what tool are you using to do the prep?

I’m estimating 10-12 hours on this start to finish.

This is all with my Micro Jack 4.

Here it is after another 2 hours. This puts me at 5 hours total.

AEE56282-91CC-40C8-85A3-CAAA07D57A85.thumb.jpeg.69518abd2a3a2d528e7847af1f722b4a.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Wow! That is cool.

I would call myself,,,, Mr Cool, but if my kids found out, I would be laughed at purty good and hardy!!! 

RB

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

I would call myself,,,, Mr Cool, but if my kids found out, I would be laughed at purty good and hardy!!! 

RB

I’m laughing pretty hard at you right now. :P But I think you’re really cool.

My time estimate was off a bit. I’m done with the little Knightia after 7 hours. These little fish are tough because their bones and scales are so thin. Even at 10x magnification with my Micro Jack there are places that I went through the scales. It’s just inevitable.

Unfortunately for me, this little guy pulled his fins in close to the body when he died. And he is slightly obliquely compressed. That makes for a less impressive display.

3791041D-00D7-44FC-AF9D-9BDC4CB3CD83.thumb.jpeg.ff3d1e07488e1fd596710b42fa7ee426.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

Still looks good to Me.

Thanks Tony. I’m happy with how it came out. I’m beginning to develop @RJB syndrome where I’m searching for only the best specimens and am never satisfied with anything less. :P

16 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks Tony. I’m happy with how it came out. I’m beginning to develop @RJB syndrome where I’m searching for only the best specimens and am never satisfied with anything less. :P

That is called "being jaded".

An affliction common to many aged fossil collectors. (including Ynot.)

It is a good thing I am not afflicted with this disgusting disease!:P

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.