Coral (3) from the Campanian St. Bartholomä formation, Styria, Austria (Gosau group, Eastern Alps)

FranzBernhard

Hello,

and here is the next (third) coral from the Campanian of St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria.

First photo: Its the largest specimen I have found so fas. The colony is about 20 cm high and is weighing ca. 4.2 kg. Not much to see, photo just for reference. The grey x indicates the location of the second photo.

Second photo: On some parts of the colony, individual corallites are clearly visible. Natural surface, nothing done to it.

I have also cut off a piece to make a polished slab. Just about 13 mm below the surface of the colony, the coralites are mostly recrystallized (thats a usual case)

Third photo: So I have slightly ground and polished the surface of the cut-off piece, with a somewhat better result, showing a few nice corallites.

But I am at a loss with this one, I am recognizing the prominent and thick costae, which let me to the consclusion that it could be belong to Nefocoenia/Neocoenia/Placocoenia/Neocoeniopsis (according to the papers of Baron-Szabo (2003, 2014)). But I can not go any further...

Any help is gratefully acknowledged! Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

Koralle_25_4057_Uebersicht_kompr.jpg

Koralle_25_4057_Detail.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Clearly Hydnophoropsis, since it has external pali, pali that emerge from the costae. The columella is a little bit weak, otherwise coincides well. The species is probably H. oppenheimi, but with certain reservation since the type specimen is missing. It was a specimen of the Oppenheim collection (that is curated in Jerusalem) but some specimens are missing.  I guess Marcel Beauvais took and never returned them. The location of the Coll. Beauvais is a secret that I do not know.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, Hans, thats a surprise! The external pali are obviously the dots between the coralites, I did not even recognize them (I really know nothing about corals :(.) I will label it as Hydnophoropsis and mention in the text that it has similarities to H. oppenheimi.

Thanks you very much for your help!
Franz Bernhard