Mosasaur skull/jaw elements question

Aurelius

I have been offered this mosasaur jaw section, and am looking for some information on what parts may actually be here.

There are two sections of jaw (the one on top very thin, which makes me wonder if it may be a pterygoid jaw?), although the bones on the right confuse me - are they part of the back of the skull? I'm not sure quite what to make of it, since it's not what you normally see. Based on this picture (the only one I have) I would say that the teeth have been butchered, but this blurry photo is all I have to go on. 

Any comments on the piece would be welcomes. I shall tag @LordTrilobite since he is very good at these things! :)

jaws.jpg.9c13e30897699d2c00e5c0f7272b92ea.jpg

jawpost.jpg.80b52426bb96861f1860c4904cead9f3.jpg

Does this orientation make more sense - right maxilla, snout to the right?????????

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Definitely has part of a pterygoid. I think those jaws are part of the pterygoid as well. It seems like these might be two mostly complete pterygoid jaws.

From these photos there is no indication of tampering with the teeth.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Definitely has part of a pterygoid. I think those jaws are part of the pterygoid as well. It seems like these might be two mostly complete pterygoid jaws.

From these photos there is no indication of tampering with the teeth.

Thank you, that is very interesting, especially since, by all indications, they are quite massive. The price is high for this piece, so I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on, and possibly talk to some organ harvesters to raise funds.

Archived