My finds in Cape Town

indominus rex

During my holiday in South Africa, I found out about a beach called Lagoona Beach where you could find shark teeth. So today I spent about 2 hours hunting for fossils at the beach, and these are my finds. I found loads of chunks of cetacean bones including a large whale vertebra, a partial rib and a massive chunk(that maybe one of you guys could maybe ID). I only found one little shark tooth, I’m guessing it’s a Mako shark tooth. However one of the other collectors there found a Megalodon tooth which I didn’t expect. But overall I’m quite happy with my findings:). And South Africa is an amazing place, soon I hope that I can go cage diving with the mighty Great White shark.

0F0993A2-47A8-4F35-9453-1F7F4E3E83DE.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Great haul, love the shark tooth!

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Must have been a cool holiday irrespective of what you collected.  Hard to see your shark tooth  mostly fingers :D but could be a tiger shark.

22 hours ago, Troodon said:

Must have been a cool holiday irrespective of what you collected.  Hard to see your shark tooth  mostly fingers :D but could be a tiger shark.

Yup sorry, I don’t have the best lighting. Here is a better pic.

DEF65637-71DD-46D1-90CD-7CB2E9A398B9.jpeg

21 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Really nice finds! I hope you had an enjoyable holiday!:hammer01:

On 8/22/2018 at 9:00 PM, Macrophyseter said:

Great haul, love the shark tooth!

Thanks:), I met another one of the collectors at the beach and I decided to buy one of the teeth he collected the same day. He gave me also some teeth, they were really nice makos. Another collector who was there also found a big Meg the same day.

97FB001E-E209-49F7-A154-FA1EF658CAFE.jpeg

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

From that locality super find.  Looks more like a sandtiger shark tooth.

Thanks, I believe that Sand tigers from that area aren’t as common as Makos. But don’t quote me on that since I don’t know much about the fossils from there.

Do be careful wandering around South Africa collecting fossils.  South Africa has one of the most restrictive laws on fossil collecting of any country: 

All fossils including and not limited to; micro fossils, plants, invertebrates and vertebrates must be collected under an approved permit and become property of the state. Application for export must be made through the SAHRA and customs, and only fossils exported for study or display in a museum or university will be granted export forms. Any South African fossil material available for sale on eBay or other internet sites, or offered for sale to dealers and collectors should be questioned and avoided.

Here is a LINK to a copy of the Natural Heritage Resources Act No 25 of 1999.

Just for your information!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

20180823_201158.png

Taking them? Oh no sir!

I am just photographing them for future scientific reference then putting them back exactly where I got them.

Sorry for any inconvenience officer.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice!!! Last year I was on Milnerton Beach, which is very close to Lagoona Beach, and found more or less the same.

For some reason, the most common species at the Cape Town beaches are GW, meg and mako (well, it's actually the broad-tooth white, but you get it ;)) (that is, judging by the posts of the Cape-Town-fossil-hunters on Instagram). So you can be happy with your find of sand tiger! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

13 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Do be careful wandering around South Africa collecting fossils.  South Africa has one of the most restrictive laws on fossil collecting of any country: 

Here is a LINK to a copy of the Natural Heritage Resources Act No 25 of 1999.

Just for your information!

-Joe

I've talked to the local hunters, and they say that this applies only to fossils found in-situ. Apparently, fossils found on the beach, because they come from the sea floor, cannot be considered as "state property", and you are allowed to collect them without any legal problem. Which is why the Cape Town fossil beaches are pretty much the only place for fossil hunting in South-Africa. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I suppose that would be up to the folks with local jurisdiction to decide...but I don't know how the authorities would feel about you trying to take any specimens out of the country, regardless of where you claim to have found them.  Anyway...I was just tossing a warning out there to help one of our valued members avoid any potential problems.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 3

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Nice to see South African beach finds. :)

I have a friend from Cape Town who's been asking about all this. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I've talked to the local hunters, and they say that this applies only to fossils found in-situ. Apparently, fossils found on the beach, because they come from the sea floor, cannot be considered as "state property", and you are allowed to collect them without any legal problem. Which is why the Cape Town fossil beaches are pretty much the only place for fossil hunting in South-Africa. 

Thanks for the info:)