Dino Tracks Update: Fixing the Fake

This is another update from one of my older posts where we questioned whether or not my dinosaur track slate is authentic or fake. A reliable friend helped me out with this mission.  A lot of controversy was behind this fossil.  This thick paint/polish applied to these rocks makes it very difficult to determine what is actually is.  I decided to completely start from scratch and remove all paint. 

When I purchased these tracks, I knew little to nothing about these matters...Now I want to share this post to help anyone else who is interested in buying a dinosaur track online to avoid deception. You have to be very careful.  ONLY BUY FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. 

Please ask for as many pictures as possible from different angles from the seller and ask as many questions as possible. Locality, who, when, background, etc.  There should be no reason why the seller wouldn’t be more than happy to help. 

When I see that thick polish/paint applied to the tracks, I avoid those listings like the plague, because it usually means something’s off, at least from my experience (others agree). Also note that listings with muliple tracks on one rock is subject to even greater suspicion.  More the reason to ask questions and request better pictures.  

With these being sold I see two strategies played out: 1.)  The seller takes a rock with one or two real tracks,  and then paints on other fakes to deceive you into thinking, “oh...well this track on the left is clearly a footprint, So the other ones painted must be too...I just don’t see it as much.” And 2.)  The seller takes rocks that are similar shale, etc. and paints any groove that looks like a toe, paints another one, and there you have it...a “footprint”.  Before you know it, you have 20 small, medium, and large completely fabricated tracks on one rock...all fake. 

But back to my fossil,  below are pictures of the process from beginning to end.  I still have a little more work to do,  but the fossil already looks much better. I dedicated 2 hours to the cleaning. A lot of scrubing.  I was happy to find that the Eubrontes track was authentic.  Unfortunately the other tracks, not so much.  There may be something else there.. but not sure...doubtful. If there are any, they’re definitely not as evident as the Eubrontes. 

What I used to remove the paint:

1.) Goo Gone (does a great job for cleaning bones and other fossils in general without leaving any marks or damage, great suggestion by @DPS Ammonite).  I suggest the spray. Reason being because it’s easier to apply with one hand and scrub with the other. 

2.) One roll of paper towels, or rags ( but be prepared to use a ton of rags).  I personally did what I can with the paper towels and then used the rags towards the end to give it a better scrub.

If anyone has any other questions please privately DM me. I encourage It. I can advise further in terms of where to avoid. 

Here’s what they look like after scrubbing. Please note the difference.  Things that appeared to be tracks with the paint may not be as you can see. 

9C624FCC-9CAB-4423-85F4-FCA6449F7667.jpeg

1CBB3331-918A-4133-A8F0-C085EBB57E97.jpeg

BE9E78F3-C168-4654-9CBD-671EB54E97C0.jpeg

Nice job - looks much better. 

The before and after pictures really tell the story here.  :( 

3824B525-109E-4FF6-A72D-16BD6BA19D1A.thumb.jpeg-horz.jpg

Down 6 "tracks"  - 7 vs 1.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

38 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice job - looks much better. 

The before and after pictures really tell the story here.  :( 

3824B525-109E-4FF6-A72D-16BD6BA19D1A.thumb.jpeg-horz.jpg

Down 6 "tracks"  - 7 vs 1.  :( 

Thank you, appreciate the side by side comparison, and yeah... it is disappointing, but you know what?  I’m not really sweating it.  I can sleep better knowing exactly what this thing is now. I’d rather have the Eubrontes track instead of the grallator anyway, you know what I mean? I’m gonna go about it the right way and make the track look like it’s supposed to. :dinothumb:

PS  this makes it easier because if I decide to,  I can cut it down to size and it won’t weigh a ton hahah

I like it better after the unnecessary "noise" has been removed. A much nicer piece in my opinion. Good job on the cleaning.

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I like it better after the unnecessary "noise" has been removed. A much nicer piece in my opinion. Good job on the cleaning.

Much appreciated!

Looks great and well worth the effort.  Are you planning to leave it as is or put a light coating on the tracks.  

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks great and well worth the effort.  Are you planning to leave it as is or put a light coating on the tracks.  

Thank you, much of this post was also inspired by your advice you continually give here on the forum. 

Regarding the track, yeah, I think I’m gonna do a light, removable polish, possibly a wood stain?

Looks like it could use a soft paint brush application of acetone...outdoors.  To me, it would look better without any "suggestive" enhancement.  Just display it with a low angle light source that really makes the track visible.  

Your track, your choice.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi Masp just a couple of things firstly you have done a great job and you now have a lovely track indeed. I also think you could when you have finished your preparation work  add this page as a link to your original post. I think it would be a good learning curve for other forum members in the same situation and it has a positive outcome. 

I can only say what I would do if it is was mine I would not use wood stain but a clear mat Artist varnish just on the tack alone or leave it as it looks fine.

All the best Bobby 

31 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Looks like it could use a soft paint brush application of acetone...outdoors.  To me, it would look better without any "suggestive" enhancement.  Just display it with a low angle light source that really makes the track visible.  

Your track, your choice.  ;) 

Will the acetone damage the specimen?

5 minutes ago, Masp said:

Will the acetone damage the specimen?

It should be less harmful than GooGone and scrubbing.  It will likely dissolve any residues from the previous applications and leave you with a cleaner specimen that can stand on its own.  :D 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I would try a couple of techiques on the back side or on one of the cut pieces, if thats what you do, and see which one you prefer.  You may decide not to do anything.  Im one that prefers some light coating to make viewing easier but its your specimen to enjoy however you like.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I would try a couple of techiques on the back side or on one of the cut pieces, if thats what you do, and see which one you prefer.  You may decide not to do anything.  Im one that prefers some light coating to make viewing easier but its your specimen to enjoy however you like.

I think something light would be nice for the aesthetics. 

Just a thought I use clear beeswax on my ammonites after they have been prepped  to bring out the colour it is very subtle and keeps a natural look. Like Frank said test it on the back first and decid then. 

@Masp I am sorry for the loss of the other 'tracks' but the one track is still a pretty nice one isn't it? I don't really have experience with tracks but it looks cool to me.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

11 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

@Masp I am sorry for the loss of the other 'tracks' but the one track is still a pretty nice one isn't it? I don't really have experience with tracks but it looks cool to me.

No worries thanks for the words.  If you have any questions about who to avoid feel free to DM me. 

Exactly, I’m happy that the best track was the authentic one, so I really have to count my blessings here.  I just hope this post helps as many people as possible.  I know it’s a scary feeling to think you spent all this money only to find out that you were decieved.  Let’s all try to prevent that from happening to others. 

Still a great piece in my opinion. I agree that some acetone might help (but be careful not to breathe in the fumes and work outdoors as already stated).

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

Still a great piece in my opinion. I agree that some acetone might help (but be careful not to breathe in the fumes and work outdoors as already stated).

Thank you!! I’m gonna do it outside and make sure to wear a mask. 

Archived