Another Green River Prep

Ptychodus04

Here’s another torture prep. This is a little Diplomystus from the ultra hard bottom cap. This one is a bit harder to prep because there’s actually very little matrix on the fossil. So, it’s much easier to accidentally go through it with the scribe. I’m alternating between scribe and abrasive on this one.4797D5A1-2E9F-46EA-87DA-87799D672AA8.thumb.jpeg.820c07c2d2c9ba2676f6649fa595e3c4.jpeg

Looks hard, but imagine the results when you are done. It will look quite good. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed the matrix is pretty cool rock as well.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

16 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Looks hard, but imagine the results when you are done. It will look quite good. Thanks for sharing. I also noticed the matrix is pretty cool rock as well.

Yah, it will be nice when done. This layer has some amazing preservation. This fish has some of the typical GRF face issues but otherwise is superb.

I guess I am jaded like @ynot claims. I feel discerning is a more appropriate descriptor.

You sir, are an artist!

These preps are nice to see. 

Thanks for posting them, Kris. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I guess I am jaded like @ynot claims. I

T'was not Me that called Us jaded, it was Tony.

Regards,

Ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think that all of us in the Forum enjoy a good prep.  Keep up the good work and send more pics.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

T'was not Me that called Us jaded, it was Tony.

Regards,

Ynot

Ynot, please forgive my error. Sometimes it is hard to tell the two of you apart these days. Tony is getting g a bit jaded in my opinion. :P

5 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

I think that all of us in the Forum enjoy a good prep.  Keep up the good work and send more pics.

I prefer preps that other people do.:D They don’t make my neck hurt and I don’t get nearly as sweaty.

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ynot, please forgive my error. Sometimes it is hard to tell the two of you apart these days. Tony is getting g a bit jaded in my opinion.

:hearty-laugh:

Nothing to forgive, I have a hard time telling them apart too.:shrug::D

Tony has been jaded for so long Him thinks He is normal.:P

Ynot

PS The fish is looking nice.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

:hearty-laugh:

Nothing to forgive, I have a hard time telling them apart too.:shrug::D

Tony has been jaded for so long Him thinks He is normal.:P

Ynot

PS The fish is looking nice.

Yah, Tony’s pretty messed up. I hope you can keep him under control.

You are doing a great job!  Keep us posted, I have a lot to learn.   I will be out at American Fossil Quarry in a few weeks and while I will digging in the split fish layer you never know, maybe I will be able to pick up something from the 18” or what you have called the “diamond” layer.  If so, what you are sharing will be very helpful.

8 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

You are doing a great job!  Keep us posted, I have a lot to learn.   I will be out at American Fossil Quarry in a few weeks and while I will digging in the split fish layer you never know, maybe I will be able to pick up something from the 18” or what you have called the “diamond” layer.  If so, what you are sharing will be very helpful.

Have fun. I tried to negotiate a slight detour to the quarries during our road trip this summer but was overruled.

Split fish stuff can be really nice, just look at some of the stuff @sseth has posted, it just takes a different approach than this hard rock matrix requires.

All right, this little guy is all done. Not as contrasty as I would like as most of the bones are brown rather than black but it is still a good fish. This one took just under 6 hours.C584834B-2532-4707-B14F-7B03A9E8AF8B.thumb.jpeg.7427fbad3a57091b7f5822633d56a64e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

beautiful job, Kris!  Now do a smaller one! :popcorn:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

do you buy a lot of what you prep?  Or collect?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

That turned out really nice. I noticed there is a crack running vertically through the fish. Was that a break that was repaired, or just a joint in the rock?

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

5 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

That turned out really nice. I noticed there is a crack running vertically through the fish. Was that a break that was repaired, or just a joint in the rock?

That is a natural joint in the rock. 

23 minutes ago, RJB said:

@Ptychodus04.  Im gunna have to give you a call. 

RB

Give me a yell. I'll refuse your call and call you back so you're not paying for long distance since you're still using a real telephone. I think you might be the last person in the world to use one (we don't even have a wired phone anymore!) :P

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Give me a yell. I'll refuse your call and call you back so you're not paying for long distance since you're still using a real telephone. I think you might be the last person in the world to use one (we don't even have a wired phone anymore!) :P

I remember back after the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, telephone land lines were out of commission for days as everybody in the world tried to contact friends and relatives there.  Those few of us who had cell phones back then didn’t have any problems.  I’m sure the situation would be reversed now.  Makes you think twice about keeping a land line.

27 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I remember back after the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, telephone land lines were out of commission for days as everybody in the world tried to contact friends and relatives there.  Those few of us who had cell phones back then didn’t have any problems.  I’m sure the situation would be reversed now.  Makes you think twice about keeping a land line.

I’ll send a bulk email. :P Or, I’ll enjoy the radio silence while my phone doesn’t work!

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My wife just got me one of those smart phones. Really complicated and trying to learn how to make a phone call, but time and practice will help.  Now all I gotta do is make a call to Texas.  Just need the time.  Trying to get ready for a trip to Washington.  Use to get ready in one day.  Now it takes me 3 weeks!!  Holy Cow!!  But it will be a ton of fun.

RB