mattbsharks

Big Brook mammal jaw with teeth in it

mattbsharks

I had a great day today sifting with my mom. We started at Ramanessin but the finds were far and few between so we switched to big brook. I found this in one of my last sifter fulls. It was sitting right on top after I sifted the sand out. I was wondering if this is most like Pleistocene or more modern and what kind of animal it might be. Thanks!

28ED3A26-1E7B-47BE-B5B1-BC1781B46EA7.jpeg

Fossildude19

Looks modern. 

Possibly a muskrat/woodchuck? 

Wolf89

That's  a modern beaver mandible I think, though seems small.

Bobby Rico

Nice find maybe a beaver?

fossilized6s
3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks modern. 

Possibly a muskrat/woodchuck? 

I agree. 

Beaver teeth are usually orange/red.

mattbsharks

What makes people say that it is modern? I’m in no way disputing it but I’m curious. It is relatively common for mammal jaws dating back to around the Pleistocene to have complete teeth like this. Is it more of where it was found or the look of it because many fossil jaws look like they would be  modern to me

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, mattbsharks said:

What makes people say that it is modern? I’m in no way disputing it but I’m curious. It is relatively common for mammal jaws dating back to around the Pleistocene to have complete teeth like this. Is it more of where it was found or the look of it because many fossil jaws look like they would be  modern to me

Bones don't take long to turn brown in the brooks there. 

Is it heavy? does it feel like rock?

Try the flame test.  I'd wager you will smell burning collagen if you were to hold a flame to a part of the jaw. 

The Jersey Devil

It would be extremely rare to find a Pleistocene jaw with teeth in it in NJ. Most Pleistocene bones here are a dark black color. The jaw doesn't look like beaver; the teeth would be much more robust. It's probably a modern muskrat jaw.

mattbsharks

I picked it back up and tapped it a few times and I think it’s modern. It was very light and it sounded like bone

RickNC

Most definitely modern. It's not unusual to find modern bones like it. They darken quickly. 

Coco

Bones take the color faster than the teeth. We see this difference on your mandible.

Coco