Tucson trip

Herb

Hi all, I am going to be in the Tucson area for 10 days soon. Is there anything to collect in that area (say 120 mi radius). I have never been to AZ. If you have some collecting information to share please PM me. Thanks a lot.

Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

thank you both

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I’d also recommend coming in feb for the gem and mineral show. It’s literally spread throughout Tucson. Amazing stuff to see even if you don’t plan on buying anything

• I found this Informative 1

You'll be much more successful in finding fossils around Tucson if you go at the end of January for the big show!!  I just booked my trip last week!

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

You'll be much more successful in finding fossils around Tucson if you go at the end of January for the big show!!  I just booked my trip last week! 

:dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:

Hey watch how you talk about our fossil rich city.  The Tucson mountains have a treasure trove of dinosaur remains and a lot more exists than in Lawn Guyland  :rofl:  Check out the Beautiful bones you can only hope to find.  .:doh!:     heckert_a_2005_29_the_late_crataceous.pdf

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Check out the Beautiful bones you can only hope to find

Not exactly a target rich environment! :D

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

43 minutes ago, Troodon said:

a lot more exists than in Lawn Guyland

Its ON Lawn Guyland.... you've been away too long!

On 8/23/2018 at 4:21 PM, Herb said:

Hi all, I am going to be in the Tucson area for 10 days soon. Is there anything to collect in that area (say 120 mi radius). I have never been to AZ. If you have some collecting information to share please PM me. Thanks a lot.

Herb

Hi Herb,

There used to be a mineral show in Tucson in early September.  I went to it a couple of years around 1990.  I was there for five days and it was 105 degrees Fahrenheit each day.  It might be as cool as 95 degrees while you are there.  You might not feel like collecting fossils.

Jess

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, Woopaul5 said:

I’d also recommend coming in feb for the gem and mineral show. It’s literally spread throughout Tucson. Amazing stuff to see even if you don’t plan on buying anything

The Tucson Rock, Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show is the largest of it's kind on earth.  You really wanna see it. :dinothumb:

Are we allowed to ask here on he forum how much money one is reccomended to bring to the Tuscon Mineral Show? Not just what one is comfortable with spending, like a realistic number in order to come home with some nice loot. Guestimate. I’m curious. 

I cannot help with collecting areas since I have never collected in the area. My Arizona Paleontology might help: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86597-arizona-paleontology-guide/

If you have time, visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum https://www.desertmuseum.org/,  Bisbee, the old copper mining town and Kartchner Cave. 

Don't forget to take home some souvenirs such as prickly pear jelly, jackalope postcards or snake eggs in a can.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.