Another great day in New Jersey creeks

mattbsharks

Today we started out at ramanessin but it was slow going so we switched to big brook and had lots of success. First two photos are maybe a ray or saw fish tooth or something? Still not positive on the mammal jaw but looks to be modern.

9815B1B0-B52E-4EF4-ADE0-845A384E40A0.jpeg

Nice sawfish! I haven't seen many which are that complete coming out of the NJ brooks.

Nice thresher (Paranomotodon angustidens) and sawfish rostrals (Ischyrhiza mira). It is fairly scarce to find the rostrals in nice shape here.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I found two totally compete rostrals today

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice thresher (Paranomotodon angustidens) and sawfish rostrals (Ischyrhiza mira). It is fairly scarce to find the rostrals in nice shape here.

image.jpg

Wow! Cool finds!

Is the jaw modern or fossil? You should do the burn test...

Beaver seems like a possibility to me. Capybara is also possible I think. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

That is a great thresher tooth! I rarely find them that nice. Also, nice sawfish rostral tooth too. Good to see you got out; maybe you'll have better luck at Ramanessin next time.

: )

22 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

Nice Finds!

Whatever that jaw is, it is awesome! :drool:

Modern Muskrat. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I love the thresher :drool:

I find the sawfish rostral tooth really interesting, I've never seen anything like it. 

Nice finds and thanks for sharing!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Nice finds, did you also take photos of the place ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Cool finds.....there's one fossil I find interesting and that's the steinkern or internal mold of a bivalve you have pictured with the shark teeth and the muskrat.

It looks similar to one I found last year that was new to the ACP or know as the Atlantic Coastal Plains..... If its all possible can you take more pictures of this steinkern and post it here.

I cropped and lighten your picture.....Thank you.

raz02.jpeg

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

5 minutes ago, njfossilhunter said:

Cool finds.....there's one fossil I find interesting and that's the steinkern or internal mold of a bivalve you have pictured with the shark teeth and the muskrat.

It looks similar to one I found last year that was new to the ACP or know as the Atlantic Coastal Plains..... If its all possible can you take more pictures of this steinkern and post it here.

Don't know if this helps any, Tony... 

61CC61D0-E2F3-4E7F-90DC-462A08C28084.jpeg.cff17e50f44660330398fe014ec99d75.jpeg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

61CC61D0-E2F3-4E7F-90DC-462A08C28084.jpeg.cff17e50f44660330398fe014ec99d75.jpeg

That doesn't look like a bivalve steinkern. Better pics are needed to determine what exactly it is, but it's either a concretion or a ratfish mouth plate.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Thanks Tim....your pic is a bit more clearer then mine.....:doh!:

Here is the steinkern I found last year that is new to the ACP and is only known from the European continent..... as far as i know at this moment.

Since Ralph Johnson curator of the M.A.P.S. collection is the authority on the ACP and was the person that ID this fossil....... It was only fitting that it was donated to the M.A.P.S.

collection....I don't have the name of this fossil handy since it was in my old laptop I had to buy a new laptop a month ago.....Dammm those virus's.....:angry:

2018-04-16 13.59-tilebbb.jpg

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

5 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Nice finds, did you also take photos of the place ?

Sadly no. I just went into fossil hunting mode :) 

2 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

raz02.jpeg

I’d be happy to tonight!

4 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

Thanks Tim....your pic is a bit more clearer then mine.....:doh!:

Here is the steinkern I found last year that is new to the ACP and is only known from the European continent..... as far as i know at this moment.

Since Ralph Johnson curator of the M.A.P.S. collection is the authority on the ACP and was the person that ID this fossil....... It was only fitting that it was donated to the M.A.P.S.

collection....I don't have the name of this fossil handy since it was in my old laptop I had to buy a new laptop a month ago.....Dammm those virus's.....:angry:

2018-04-16 13.59-tilebbb.jpg

Here are better photos. It still has some matrix stuck to it

AE5EFB5C-B7D3-4BB6-B16B-61046F207577.jpeg

Archived