Otodus Obliquus recreation attempt

FossilsAnonymous

Hey all,

I have recently been interested in the Cretaceous shark Otodus obliquus and I attempted to recreate the shark with a drawing. I used a mixture of looking at some skeletal pieces and verts and computer generated images to try to draw from, and I used a strange curving pencil stroke to accentuate the shark's movement.I dindn't really try to shade this one and just kept it slightly consistent and am thinking of adding the detailed shading in the revised drawing. I definitely need some pointers in its overall body shape. Hope y'all can help.

IMG_2165.thumb.jpg.007241a04a73ef8dad95f225088765d4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Nice. 

I think the curving pencil strokes are very effective. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Hey all,

I have recently been interested in the Cretaceous shark Otodus Obliquus and I attempted to recreate the shark with a drawing. I used a mixture of looking at some skeletal pieces and verts and computer generated images to try to draw from, and I used a strange curving pencil stroke to accentuate the shark's movement.I dindn't really try to shade this one and just kept it slightly consistent and am thinking of adding the detailed shading in the revised drawing. I definitely need some pointers in its overall body shape. Hope y'all can help.

I really like your drawing and I think the strokes gives the drawing a sense of movement! Below are a few other drawings of Otodus Obliquus so you can get an idea of body shape but I like how you capture movement which the pics below don't!

otodus_obliquus_by_rhysdylan01-d9wwxvt.jpg.4dd38af2c7c818fa20e4480806490dcb.jpg

otodus_obliquus_by_zewqt-d75axuk.jpg

otodus_obliquus_by_teratophoneus-d8tjrgo.png

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I can’t help much here, art was never my strong suit, but looks good. Here’s Wikipedia’s picture of a cretalamna, which is the direct ancestor of Otodus.

0E17FE8D-DAA0-4E83-AFE8-9B0B2B4FBFA6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi.

I cannot contribute to the details of Otodus´proportions, but I really like the stile of the drawing.!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Looks great! :dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils